Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0711
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HAMBOROUGH FAMILY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.44 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Hamborough | family | of Stanwell
In 1086 Stanwell Manor was held by William fitz Other and in the time of King Edward it had belonged to Azor. The estate recorded in Domesday Book probably comprises most of the ancient parish except the manor of West Bedfont, which was already separate. In 1796 there were 539 acres copyhold of the manor, nearly all lying east of Stanwellmoor. By 1844 the lord of the manor owned Hammonds farm, Merricks farm (later known as Southern farm), and Park farm (later Stanhope farm), as well as about 84 acres around his house and a few other small areas. The manorial rights, house, and lands were separated in 1933.
Source: 'Stanwell: Manors', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 36-41 (available online).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Hamborough family relating to their estates in Stanwell, West Bedfont, East Bedfont and Staines, including orders and awards of the manor of Stanwell and Sheepcot alias Hammonds; title deeds; sales particulars; legal papers; wills, bequests and probates; tithes; tax certificates.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
This collection consists of two series: Stanwell Estate Deeds and papers relating to Hamborough Settled Estates.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in February 1960.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Records prepared May to September 2011.