Reference code(s): GB 0074 M/90
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SOUTHAMPTON ESTATE
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 8.67 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Manor of Tottenhall x Manor of Tottenham Court
Tottenham Court Manor was usually known as Tottenhall Manor. It was a prebendary held by clergymen at Saint Paul's Cathedral. The manor was leased out by the clergy until 1560 when it was demised to Queen Elizabeth. In 1639 it was leased to Charles the First, but was seized during the Civil War and sold. It was retaken on the Restoration, and in 1661 was granted to Sir Henry Wood by Charles the Second. The lease was taken over by Isabella Countess of Arlington, and inherited by her son Charles, Duke of Grafton and later by his brother the Honorable Charles Fitzroy, first Lord Southampton (descendants of Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Grafton, an illegitimate son of Charles the Second). In 1768 an act of Parliament vested the fee simple of the manor in Lord Southampton and his heirs, subject to an annual payment to the prebendary.
Part of the Tottenhall manor is now north-west Bloomsbury. Road names in this area reflect the family, such as Euston Road (Henry Fitzroy was also Earl of Euston) and Tottenham Court Road which is a corruption of Tottenhall.
Information from: 'Pancras', The Environs of London: volume 3: County of Middlesex (1795), pp. 342-382 and http://www.ucl.ac.uk/bloomsburyproject/streets/tottenham_court.htm.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Tottenhall Manor, also known as Tottenham Court Manor, including court baron books and rolls; court minute books; rentals; fee books; documents regarding enfranchisements; papers relating to demesne land in Saint Pancras, Kentish Town and Camden Town; plans; abstracts of title, including some relating to the Allen v. Southampton case; title deeds and papers relating to sale or exchange of land, including exchange of land in Saint Pancras with the Duke of Bedford; marriage settlements affecting the estate; documents regarding property in various streets throughout the estate, including Charles Place and Charles Street, Cleveland Street, Drummond Street, Duke Street, Endsleigh Street, Euston Buildings, Euston Road, Exmouth Street, Fitzroy Square, Fitzroy Farm (Highgate), Little George Street, Gloucester Road, Gower Place, Gower Street, Grafton Place, Hampstead Road, Camden High Street, Mother Black Cap's, Kentish Town Road, Regent's Park, Seymour Street, Southampton Buildings, Southampton Mews, Southampton Place, Stanhope Street, Tottenham Court Road, Warren Street, Upper Woburn Place, and William Street; conveyances of freehold estates; leases for Euston Place and Euston Square; bills and acts of parliament relating to the estates and the manorial rights; copies of wills and probates; letters of attorney; papers regarding land at Kentish Town, the Regent's Canal, and a footpath to Highgate; building agreements and licences to trade; licences relating to freehold; note on customs of the manor; Land Tax redemption certificates; papers relating to Tottenham Court Road police station; and admissions of Lord Southampton to adjacent land in the Manor of Hornsey.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
M/90/0001-0046: Manorial courts;
M/90/0128-0270: Rentals, fee books, enfranchisements;
M/90/0271-0292: St Pancras, Kentish Town and Camden Town;
M/90/0302-0332: Abstracts of title;
M/90/0333-1675: Deeds, leases and conveyances;
M/90/1676-1685: Acts and bills;
M/90/1686-1746: Wills and probates;
M/90/1747-1804: Letters of attorney;
M/90/1805-1843: Kentish Town and Regent's Canal;
M/90/1844-1938: Building agreements and trade licences;
M/90/1939-1979: Licences relating to freehold;
M/90/1980-2081: Various papers relating to estate management.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in 1949, 1950 and 1975.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Records prepared May to September 2011.