Reference code(s): GB 0074 M/79
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: TYSSEN, Francis
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 10.08 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Tyssen-Amherst | family | of Hackney and Norfolk
Francis John Tyssen established extensive land holdings in Hackney (see below). His estates were left to his daughter Mary Tyssen. Her grandson William George Daniel (1801-55) took the surname Daniel-Tyssen. He married Amelia Amhurst. Their son William Amhurst Tyssen (1835-1909) adopted the surname Tyssen-Amherst in 1852, changing it to Tyssen-Amherst in 1877. His estates included 9488 acres at Didlington Hall, Norfolk, as well as the Hackney estates in London.
THE MANOR OF LORDSHOLD, HACKNEY: The principal manor of Hackney, now known as Lordshold, was formerly held by the Bishop of London who surrendered it to King Edward VI in 1550, together with the manor of Stepney. Both manors were granted by the King to Thomas, Lord Wentworth, Stepney in 1550 and Hackney in 1551 and remained in the Wentworth family until the confiscation of the Earl of Cleveland's estates in 1652. In 1633, however, the Earl of Cleveland had mortgaged the manor to Sir Thomas Trevor and Thomas Trevor. The redemption sum was not repaid and the term was assigned to Anne, Viscountess of Dorchester in trust for Viscount Bayning, whose executors Sir Thomas Gleinham and Henry Gleinham assigned it to Richard Wallcott, Richard Wallop, William Smith and Francis Glover. The remainder of the term was acquired by William Hobson in 1660, whose coheirs sold it to John Forth, Alderman of London and, after a dispute in Chancery between the Wentworth and Forth families, this assignment was confirmed in 1669. In 1676 the manor was sold to Nicholas Cary and Thomas Cooke, goldsmiths and was subsequently purchased by Francis Tyssen in 1697.
THE MANOR OF KINGSHOLD, HACKNEY: By the 13th century, the Knights Hospitaller had acquired considerable lands in Hackney which passed to the Priory of St John of Jerusalem on the abolition of the Order. When the Priory was, in turn, dissolved by King Henry VIII, this estate was granted to Henry, Earl of Northumberland. Although the Earl conveyed the manor to Sir Thomas Audley, the Lord Chancellor, in 1535 for the King's use, the Earl kept possession until his death in 1537 when it reverted to the Crown. From that time the manor was known as Kingshold. In 1547 Edward VI granted it to William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke who sold it to Sir Ralph Sadler in the same year. In 1548 it passed to the Carew family until 1578 when it was alienated to Sir Henry Carey, Lord Hunsdon. He conveyed the manor to Sir Rowland Hayward in 1583 and after conveyance to Elizabeth, Countess of Oxford in 1596 and Fulke Grevile in 1609, it reverted to the Crown. In 1614 it was granted to Thomas Lande and Thomas Banckes who sold it to Hugh Sexey. In 1647 the manor was acquired by William Hobson, whose sons-in-law alienated it to Sir George Vyner in 1668. In 1694 it was purchased by John Sikes, one of the coheirs of Sir Thomas Vyner who sold it in 1698 to Francis Tyssen.
THE MANOR OF GRUMBOLDS, HACKNEY: The manor of Grumbolds formed part of the Rectory of Hackney, the advowson of which was originally vested in the Bishops of London as lords of the superior manor, until both were separated from the see in 1550. It then seemed to continue to pass with the ownership of Lordshold.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the manors of Lordshold, Kingshold and Grumbolds, Hackney and of the Tyssen Amherst estates. Manor of Lordshold records include court books; indexes to court books; draft court books; minutes of courts and presentment books; register of officials; papers entered into court books; surrenders and admissions; deeds; rentals, surveys and other documents.
Manor of Kingshold records include court books; indexes to court books; draft court books; minutes of courts and presentment book; papers entered into court books; deeds.
Manor of Grumbolds records include index to court books; minutes of courts and other volumes; papers entered into court books; deeds.
Papers relating to the Tyssen Amherst Estates include marriage settlements; conveyances; building agreements; land tax records; rental; surveys and plans. The collection also includes a minute book of Henry Norris and letters patent regarding Downing College, Cambridge.
The covering dates of the court books are the dates of the actual courts, or proceedings before the steward, as distinct from enrolments of transactions out of court. The original numbers of the volumes are given in inverted commas in the description column and will be needed if use is made of the original indexes. Since the manors of Lordshold, Hackney and of Stepney were held in conjunction until 1652, a few records relating to Stepney are included in this collection, for example M79/LH/128/4. Similarly court books for Lordshold, 1654-1659, 1661-1664 and extracts of Court Baron rolls, 1652-1717, can be found in the list of Stepney manor records (Refs. M93/1-2, 4, 89-92) as well as some deeds (e.g. W93/439-441).
Many of these records were damaged by flooding due to enemy action in the second World War and cannot be consulted in their present state. However where the court books are unfit for consultation, draft court books and papers entered into the court books can be used as an alternative.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
M/79/G: Grumbolds Manor;
M/79/KH: Kingshold Manor;
M/79/LH: Lordshold Manor;
M/79/TA: Tyssen Amherst estates;
M/79/X: Other records.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
The minute book of Henry Norris, J.P., (M79/X/1) is a stray which was deposited with the manorial records. Its origin is unknown.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Papers deposited in 1961 and 1971.
Date(s) of descriptions: Records prepared May to September 2011.