Reference code(s): ACC/3527-24
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: W SYMINGTON AND COMPANY LIMITED
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.02 linear metres
Name of creator(s): W Symington and Co Ltd | food product manufacturers
The company was founded by William Symington in 1827 when he acquired a warehouse in Adam and Eve Street, Market Harborough, Leicestershire. He later moved to Church Street as a wholesale grocer. William Symington perfected and patented a process for the preparation of pea flour. In about 1865 he was joined by his son, Samuel. The business expanded and became well known for dehydrated soups, gravy, custard powder, blancmange powder, table creams, jellies, and fruit puddings. In 1903 registered offices were at Bowden Steam Mills, Little Bowden, Market Harborough. In 1904 Symington supplied pea flour to Scott's first Antarctic Expedition. Acquired by J Lyons and Company Limited in 1969 and merged with Lyons' Catering Sales Limited.
Main source: http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/symington.htm, accessed 15 August 2011.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of W Symington and Company Limited, food product manufacturers, comprising minutes of meetings of directors and annual general meetings.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English.
System of arrangement:
One volume only.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection is held by the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Donated to the Archive in 1995, with additions to 2010.
Date(s) of descriptions: August 2011.