Reference code(s): H68/VC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: VICTORIA HOSPITAL FOR CHILDREN
Date(s): 1882 - 1964
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.54 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Victoria Hospital for Children | Chelsea x South Western Hospital for Children
The Victoria Hospital for Children opened in 1866 as 'The South Western Hospital for Children'. It was located at Gough House, Queen's Road West, Chelsea and managed initially by a committee chaired by Mr B. R. Green.
Increasing numbers of patients led to the committee seeking improved accommodation. Money was raised to purchase the freehold of Gough House along with some additional land, and to redevelop and enlarge the hospital. The extension opened in 1876. In the same year, a house in Margate, Kent was made available for use as a convalescent facility. In 1877, the Metropolitan Board of Works offered the hospital some additional land to the front and rear of Gough House as part of its plans to establish a new street to be named Tite Street. The committee purchased this land for future developments. In 1891, patroness of the hospital, Princess Louise opened a new convalescent home in Broadstairs, Kent.
During the First World War, part of the hospital was assigned as the 2nd London General Hospital, but by 1916, it was fully functioning again as a paediatric hospital. In 1922, the hospital opened Princess Mary Home for private patients in a house next to the hospital. During the Second World War, the outpatient department was used as a casualty and decontamination centre. The inpatient services were transferred to hospitals at Windsor, Berkshire and Park Prewett, Basingstoke, Hampshire.
With the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948, Victoria Hospital for Children became part of the Saint George's Hospital Teaching Group of the South West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. In 1964, the hospital was closed and its activities transferred to Saint George's Hospital in Tooting.
The hospital has been administered by the following:
1866 - 1948: Victoria Hospital for Children
1948 - 1964: Saint George's Hospital Teaching Group of South West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Victoria Hospital for Children, including registers of deaths, post mortem reports, operations books, papers and correspondence relating to patients and staff, registers of nurses, staff record cards, staff lists.
Administrative and financial records are uncatalogued as of February 2012, please see staff for further details.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English.
System of arrangement:
These records are arranged as follows:
H68/VC/B/01 Patients' records: registers of deaths;
H68/VC/B/02 Patients' records: post mortem reports;
H68/VC/B/03 Patients' records: operations books;
H68/VC/B/04 Patients' records: papers and correspondence;
H68/VC/C/01 Staff records: registers of nurses;
H68/VC/C/02 Staff records: staff record cards;
H68/VC/C/03 Staff records: staff lists;
H68/VC/C/04 Staff records: papers and correspondence.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1996, 2005 and 2007.
See also South West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board (LMA/4431/A), South Thames Regional Health Authority (HA/ST).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2012.