Reference code(s): H69
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: PINEWOOD SANATORIUM
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.59 linear metres (29 volumes)
Name of creator(s): London Open Air Sanatorium x Pinewood Sanatorium
Pinewood Sanatorium was opened in 1901 as the London Open Air Sanatorium by the National Association for the Prevention of Tuberculosis. It was situated in a pine forest near Wokingham in Berkshire. Pine trees were believed to be beneficial for sufferers of tuberculosis.
The Metropolitan Asylums Board were sanctioned to treat tuberculosis patients by the Public Health (Prevention and Treatment of Disease) Act, 1913 (3 and 4 Geo.V c.23). In 1919 they purchased the institution and renamed it Pinewood Sanatorium. In 1929 the London County Council took over the Metropolitan Asylums Board and the Sanatorium became a Special Hospital under their Public Health Department. It was used as a hospital for servicemen during the Second World War, although it continued to take some civilian patients.
The registers show that the last patient was discharged on 20 January 1966 and a subsequent note states "Pinewood Closed". The site was put to various uses, including filming of television shows, and is now a leisure centre run by Wokingham Without Parish Council.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Pinewood Sanatorium, 1910-1966, including admission and discharge registers, case register, registers of operations, register of death and mortuary registers.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English.
System of arrangement:
These records are arranged according to a classification scheme for hospital records: General Hospital Administration (A), Patients' Administration (B), Finance Office (D), Endowments (E), Related Documentation (Y) and Prints and Photographs (PH).
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Documents received in January 2001.
See also minutes and photographs in MAB and LCC collections, especially MAB-16; MAB-22-24; LCC/PH/HOSP/03; and LCC/MIN/02585, 02586.
Admission and discharge registers for 1955 - 1964 can be found at Hampshire Record Office.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2012.