Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/207/SN03
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: STANDARD BANK OF NIGERIA: ADMINISTRATION
Level of description: sub-fonds
Extent: 1 linear metre
Name of creator(s): Standard Bank of Nigeria | Standard Bank Limited xx First Bank of Nigeria - Standard Bank
The Bank of British West Africa first opened in Nigeria in 1897; In 1957 the bank changed its name to the Bank of West Africa and in 1965 merged with Standard Bank Limited. The operations in West Africa became known as the Standard Bank of West Africa Limited. In 1969 the Nigeria business was incorporated, initially as a wholly owned subsidiary, to be known as the Standard Bank of Nigeria; In 1971 the bank was listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange and 13% of the share captial was devolved to the Nigerian Public. In 1979 Standard reduced its holdings in the company to just 38% and the business was renamed, First Bank of Nigeria - Standard Bank - which since 1969 had been part of Standard Chartered Banking Group - sold its remaining shares in the bank in 1996.
In 1999 Standard Chartered Bank re-entered Nigeria creating a new wholly owned subsidiary company, Standard Chartered Nigeria which has no links with the former Standard Bank operations or First Bank of Nigeria.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Standard Bank of Nigeria Limited including inward and outward letters between Nigeria Head Office, Lagos and Director's Office (London).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
This sub-fonds is arranged as follows:
CLC/B/207/SN03/01 Director's Office
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
48 hours notice required for access.
PLEASE NOTE: Permission for access to records less than 45 years old should be sought from the depositor.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright is held by the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The bank's archives were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1989 and after. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997
Date(s) of descriptions: Added January 2014