Reference code(s): GB 0074 H71/GS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HOSPITAL FOR DISEASES OF THE THROAT, GOLDEN SQUARE
Level of description: sub-fonds
Extent: 4 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Hospital for Diseases of the Throat, Golden Square
The Hospital for Diseases of the Throat in Golden Square was founded in 1862 by Dr Morell Mackenzie, a pioneer of laryngology. It began as a free dispensary, but soon adopted a provident system whereby patients contributed towards the cost of their treatment.
The hospital was sufficiently successful for the Prince of Wales to become Patron in 1872; however, from this point Golden Square suffered a number of setbacks. Between July 1873 and November 1874 the hospital was unsuccessful both in its attempt to gain a royal charter and its application to the Board of Trade for incorporation. Three Trustees were subsequently appointed to manage the affairs of the hospital: Lord Charles Bruce, Colonel Percy Fielding and Dr Morell Mackenzie, but it continued to deteriorate. In 1878 an enquiry into the financial management of the hospital resulted in the withdrawal of Royal Patronage. Members of staff began to desert the hospital in droves; Lennox Browne and Llewellyn Thomas left in 1874 to set up their own establishment, and between 1876 and 1877 seven further members of staff (including the Chairman of the Management Committee, Matron and Secretary) resigned over an incident with a patient.
In 1904, the King's Fund put forward a proposal to merge the five ENT hospitals in London: the Hospital for Diseases of the Throat in Golden Square, the Central London Throat Nose and Ear Hospital in Gray's Inn Road, the Royal Ear Hospital in Huntley Street, the London Throat Hospital in Portland Street, and the Metropolitan Ear Nose and Throat Hospital in Fitzroy Square. The Hospital for Diseases of the Throat in Golden Square eventually decided to merge with the London Throat Hospital in 1918. The Royal Ear Hospital merged with University College Hospital in the following year. In 1939, the decision was taken to amalgamate with the Central London Throat Nose and Ear Hospital, and a joint Committee of Management was formed.
The merger was delayed by the outbreak of war, during which, in 1940, the hospital was slightly damaged by bombing. Golden Square had a number of eminent surgeons on its staff, including Charles Heath (1856-1934) who invented the anti-gas helmet used by British soldiers in World War I, George Cathcart (1861-1951) who financed the first Prom with Henry Wood and Lionel Colledge (1883-1948) who was instrumental in the amalgamation of Golden Square with the Central London, and in whose honour the Royal College of Surgeons awards the annual Lionel Colledge Fellowship.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Hospital for Diseases of the Throat, Golden Square including the official corporate records of the hospital.
Patient records have a general closure period of 100 years from date of birth.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Administration: Committee of Management
Administration: House Committee
Administration: Medical Council
Patient Records: Consultant's Case Books
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright is held by the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
The records were transferred along with the Royal Free Hospital and associated collections from the Royal Free Hospital Archives Centre to London Metropolitan Archives in 2013.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in December 2013.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Added May 2014