Reference code(s): GB 0074 DD/0478
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HAMMERSMITH BRIDGE COMPANY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.3 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Hammersmith Bridge Company
The Hammersmith Bridge Company was established by Act of Parliament in 1824 (before the introduction of the principle of the limited company). The Bridge, designed by William Tierney Clark (or Clarke), was completed in 1827. A second Act, amending some sections of the first, was obtained in 1828 Land was compulsorily acquired in accordance with the provisions of the Acts for making the approach roads, which included Hammersmith Bridge Road and what is now Castelnau in Barnes. A special clause in the first Act meant that whole of the Barn Elms Estate had to be purchased. Most of the surplus land in Barnes and Hammersmith was subsequently sold; but some properties were retained and let to tenants.
The Company's income came largely from tolls on users of the Bridge and the roads in Barnes. Tolls were not charged on users of Hammersmith Bridge Road. A floating steamboat pier was later built to increase profits, attached to the downstream side of the Surrey suspension pier. In 1880 the Bridge and pier were purchased by the Metropolitan Board of Works, under the terms of the Metropolis Toll Bridges Act. The Company's roads were transferred to the local authorities, its properties were sold , and it was wound up. The Bridge was at once freed from tolls and was replaced by the present bridge a few years later.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Hammersmith Bridge Company including deeds and papers relating to land bought or owned by the company.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright is held by the Depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Discovered by computer consultants who took over a solicitors office and found this material left behind. They transferred it to BRA who deposited it at Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local Studies in 1975.
Transferred from Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre in 2015.
See also DD/0008 Records of the Hammersmith Bridge Company.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Added July 2015.