Reference code(s): GB 0074 DD/1081
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HAMMERSMITH AND CITY RAILWAY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.07 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Hammersmith and City Railway
The Metropolitan Railway opened from Farringdon Street to Bishop's Road (now part of Paddington Station) in 1863. It was extended to Hammersmith by the Hammersmith and City Railway, a separate company backed and operated by the Great Western Railway and the Metropolitan Railway, vested in them jointly in 1867.
The line to Hammersmith opened on 13 June 1864, with stations initially at Hammersmith, Shepherds Bush (Railway Approach) and Notting Hill (now Ladbroke Grove). The station at Hammersmith was moved 150 yards south to its present site in 1868 and was reconstructed in 1908. Shepherds Bush Station, Railway Approach, was replaced by two new stations in 1914, Shepherds Bush (Uxbridge Road) and Goldhawk Road. The Railway Approach site was taken over by Shepherds Bush Market.
The Metropolitan Railway Company was vested in the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933 which took over the management of the passenger service, although the Hammersmith and City Line remained a joint undertaking. Upon nationalization of the railways in 1948 the Hammersmith and City Railway was incorporated in the London Transport Railway System.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Hammersmith and City Railway Company including adminstrative material, deeds relating to Hammersmith and Paddington, plans.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Arranged in sections as follows:
DD/1081/02: Hammersmith deeds
DD/1081/03: Paddington deeds
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright is held by the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Donated to Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local Studies by British Railways Board Records Centre in 2000.
Transferred from Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre in 2015.
See also ACC/2324, ACC/1297/H&C and ACC/1297/HCJ.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Added July 2015.