Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4757
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: P. WILKINSON AND SONS LIMITED (METAL FOUNDERS)
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.5 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Philip Wilkinson and Sons | 1793-1936 | metal founders P. Wilkinson and Sons Ltd | 1936-1998 | metal founders
The firm was founded in 1793 by Philip Wilkinson and traded as Philip Wilkinson and Sons. Their premises for nearly 180 years were at 14-19 Tottenham Mews, Westminster. According to the family there was a connection with the brand Wilkinson Sword and the two companies traded together.
On 8 July 1926 an agreement (see LMA/4757/A/01/001) was made between Stanley Edward Washbourn, John Henry Hawes and Albert George Cross and Hilmor Limited of 71 Southwark Street, London where P Wilkinson and Sons sold the company Hilmor Tube Bending Machine under the name of P Wilkinson and Sons. After expansion Hilmor eventually moved to Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
On 1 May 1936 the firm was registered as P. Wilkinson and Sons Limited. The firm invented the Wilkalisol aluminium solder for which a Trade Mark was granted on 30 October, 1946 (see LMA/4757/A/01//003). Around this time advertisements boasted of its 'Castings in all non-ferrous metals from your own patterns or designs' with ‘various selections’ of stocks ranging from aluminum to copper rods, sheets and tubes being in stock. The author of an article in 1968 was impressed by how the workers finished pouring the brass at 8:30am 'which mean[t] starting at 4:30am' (see LMA/4757/D/01/001).
In 1972 the premises at Tottenham Street were sold and the company moved to Stanmore. In the same year the company became associated with R. H. Roseblade and Sons Ltd of 18 Minerva Road, Park Royal, Brent. The firm was run by Ron Roseblade and his two sons John and Martin. Wilkinsons also had close connections with G W. Lunts of Birmingham. During this time, several well-known memorials and castings were created in conjuction with Roseblade as well as Lunts. Four bronze servicemen on the War memorial outside Euston Station, the Wreath on the Cenotaph in Whitehall as well as the external lantern work at Victoria and Albert Museum all involved Wilkinsons’ metalworks.
Nigel Washbourn became an apprentice to the firm on 2nd September, 1955. In 1978, Stanley William Washbourn died and the firm continued to be run by Nigel until his retirement in 1999. In 1983 the company moved to Northwood, London. When Roseblades closed their business, Nigel Washbourn continued to work with Lunts Castings Limited, Unit 7 Hawthorns Estate, Middlemore Road, Birmingham. In 1998 P. Wilkinson and Sons Limited closed down but Nigel Washbourn remained a consultant to Lunts of Birmingham until 2016.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of P. Wilkinson and Sons Limited including agreements and assignments of business, memorandum and articles of association, certificate of incorporation, account book (1837-1907), order book (1864-1870), mixture and metal book (1853-1897), articles and printed material, premises deeds and papers for Tottenham Street and Tottenham Mews, and 'On National Service' designed brooch.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
These records are arranged as follows:
LMA/4757/B ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL
LMA/4757/D MARKETING AND ADVERTISING
LMA/4757/E PREMISES AND PROPERTY
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: https://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Donated in 2016.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Added June 2018.