Reference code(s): GB 0098 KA
Held at: Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine
Title: Aeronautics Department, Meteorology Department, and Physiological Flow Studies Unit of Imperial College
Date(s): Created 1907-1987 (ongoing)
Level of description: Series of Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine records
Extent: 7 boxes
Name of creator(s): Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
The Department of Aeronautics was established in 1920. Sir Richard Glazebrook was appointed the first Director and Zaharoff Professor of Aviation.
The Department of Meteorology was established in 1920, as part of the Department of Aeronautics. In 1934, it became part of the Department of Physics, and in 1955 was transferred to the Department of Geology.
The Physiological Flow Studies Unit was established in 1966 to foster basic research in physiological mechanics for the advancement of the understanding of certain human diseases. The Centre for Biological and Medical Systems developed from the Physiological Flow Studies Unit.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records comprise papers of the Aeronautics Department of Imperial College, including notes on the department by Professor William Ernest Dalby, 1916, and Professor G Jackson, 1957; papers of the Aeronautics Committee and Advisory Committee on aeronautical education, 1909-1934; foundation of the Zaharoff Chair of Aviation, 1916-1923; correspondence of Professor Sir Richard Glazebrook, 1907-1923, Professor Sir Leonard Bairstow, 1920-1949, Professors Hall and Squire, 1945-1957; Rectors' correspondence, 1950-1981; research projects and reports, 1973- 1974; opening of the Donald Campbell Memorial laboratory, 1980-1981 (KA);
papers of the Meteorology Department, including a departmental history from 1920-1952, 1966; correspondence of Professor Sir Napier Shaw, 1920-1924; Professors Sir Gilbert Walker and Sir David Brunt, 1924-1935; the Rector Sir Patrick Linstead, 1955-1966; correspondence concerning the proposed Institute of Meteorology, 1937-1939, 1948; future of the department, 1968-1974 (KAM);
papers of the Physiological Flow Studies Unit, including reports, 1966; opening of the Charles Hayward Research Laboratory, 1976; papers relating to the Hayward foundation, 1973-1987; correspondence of the Rector concerning grants, 1966-1979; setting up and organisation of the unit, 1965-1979; association with the Aeronautics Department, 1967-1979; conferences (KAP);
press cuttings relating to the Centre for Biological and Medical Systems (KAPA).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records are arranged in sections as outlined in the scope and content.
Conditions governing access:
Researchers wishing to consult the Archives should first contact the College Archivist, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ, for an appointment.
Conditions governing reproduction:
A photocopying service is available at the discretion of the Archivist. Photocopies are supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Archivist.
A catalogue is available at the College Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Created and accumulated by Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine during the course of business.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Records of Interdisciplinary Centres and Courses (KO), and records relating to the University of London (UL), held at Imperial College.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project.
Rules or conventions: General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: October 2000