Reference code(s): GB 0098 Royal Postgraduate Medical School
Held at: Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine
Title: Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: approximately 15 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Royal Postgraduate Medical School
The British Postgraduate Medical School, based at Hammersmith Hospital, was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1931 and opened in 1935. It was the result of recommendations by the Athlone Report of 1921, and was a pioneer institution of postgraduate clinical teaching and research. The school has always been closely linked with the Hammersmith Hospital and the Medical Research Council, where its teaching research and clinical work is carried out. Senior Academic staff of the school provided consultant services and academic leadership for Hammersmith Hospital.
The school became part of the British Postgraduate Medical Foundation in 1947, and was known as the Postgraduate Medical School of London. In 1974 the school became independent, with a new charter and the title Royal Postgraduate Medical School.
In 1988 the school merged with the Institute of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, and became part of the Imperial College School of Medicine on its formation in 1997.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, 1921-1995, including reports of preliminary Committees, 1921; minutes of the Governing Body, 1931-1952; minutes of the Committee of Management, 1947-1974; minutes of the Council, 1974-1985; minutes of the Board of Governors, 1938, 1962-1967; minutes of the School Council, 1934-1947; minutes of the Academic Board, 1947-1983; minutes of the Finance and General Purposes Committee, 1976-1987; annual reports, 1935-1995; prospectuses, 1936-1968;
papers relating to staff appointments, including lists of staff, 1935-, obituaries, transcripts of interviews with staff, monthly salaries, 1935-1940; London County Council war service salaries and wages, 1939-1943;
visitor's book, 1947-1962; press cuttings, 1954-1976; photograph albums and loose photographs, [1935-1965]; negatives, [1959-1985]; 16mm films of various operations;
Medical School reports on work at Hammersmith Hospital, [1936-1940]
copies of The Special newspaper, 1986-1995 (for Hammersmith Hospital and the Medical School); copies of Alumnus News Letter, 1986-1988.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records are unsorted.
Conditions governing access:
Researchers wishing to consult the Archives
Conditions governing reproduction:
A photocopying service is available at the discretion of the Archivist. Photocopies are supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Archivist.
Some of the records comprise 16mm film.
A preliminary list is available at the College Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Accumulated by Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine during the course of business.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Records of Hammersmith Hospital, 1906-1969, held at the London Metropolitan Archives, 1934-1941, held at the Royal College of Physicians of London.
The records are held at the Imperial College Archives, South Kensington
Archivist's note: Sources: Imperial College School of Medicine: A History of the Future Anne Barrett; Wellcome Trust and Public Record Office Hospital Records Database. Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project.
Date(s) of descriptions: January 2001