Reference code(s): GB 1924 NWP
Held at: Trades Union Congress (TUC) Library Collections and University Archives at London Metropolitan University
Title: North Western Polytechnic
Level of description: sub-fonds
Extent: c5 linear meters
Name of creator(s): North Western Polytechnic
The North Western Polytechnic (NWP) - founded in 1896 - opened in Prince of Wales Road, Kentish Town, NW London, in 1929. It had more than 2200 students, mainly in evening classes, and an academic staff of 150, concentrating on social sciences, humanities and arts. By 1967 the NWP was the largest polytechnic in London. On 26 January 1971, as more polytechnics were designated, it was decided that the Northern and North Western polytechnics should merge to form the Polytechnic of North London (PNL), which then had its degrees awarded by the Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA). In 1992 the Polytechnic won the right to the title of 'University' and to award its own degrees and diplomas as the University of North London, rather than those of the CNAA. In December 2001, the University announced that it would be merging with London Guildhall University, to create London Metropolitan University, London's largest unitary university and one of the country's largest higher education institutions.
Scope and content/abstract:
Administrative records of the North Western Polytechnic, 1896-1971, comprising: Governing Body minutes, 1896-1971; Annual Reports, 1929-1957; Souvenir Brochure for Official Opening, 1929; student record cards, 1934-1935; Joint Working Party with Northern Polytechnic [on merger] minutes 1967-1970; Training College for Technical Teachers Governing Body minutes and papers, 1946-1951.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
All enquiries should be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Conditions governing reproduction:
Details available upon request
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
The surviving archives of all precursor institutions of London Metropolitan University are currently being appraised in detail following their relocation to a central facility at 25 Old Castle Street, London, E1 7NT
Immediate source of acquisition:
Generated and retained in situ by NWP.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
The Archives and Special Collections of London Metropolitan University also hold the records of the Northern Polytechnic (Institute), which merged with NWP in 1971 to form the Polytechnic of North London.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Alan Kucia as part of the RSLP AIM25 Project. Subsequent amendments carried out by the Archives Project Team of London Metropolitan University in 2016.
Rules or conventions: Initially compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Mar 2002 and Nov 2016.