Reference code(s): GB 2121 Garnett
Held at: University of Greenwich
Title: Garnett College
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: approximately 14 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Garnett College
A Training College for Technical Teachers was opened in 1946 at North Western Polytechnic in North London as part of the Ministry of Education's emergency scheme for training teachers. In 1950 the College was separated from North Western Polytechnic and maintained by London County Council. The College was renamed Garnett College in 1953 after William Garnett, a former Secretary to the London County Council's Technical Education Board. In 1963 Garnett College was moved to Roehampton, continuing to run courses for students training to work in further and higher education. The College moved into two Georgian villas: Mount Clare, which became the college's residential facility, and Downshire House, its administrative centre with a teaching block in the grounds. In 1978 Garnett became responsible for most of a further adjacent house, Manresa House, which was used for teaching.
By the 1980s Garnett College had about 500 students at Roehampton and about the same number studying part-time and attending various colleges in the south of England or Garnett's annexe in West Square near Elephant and Castle.The College ran a one year or equivalent course leading to a Teacher's Certificate for further education teachers, with some students full-time, others taking sandwich courses and some day-release students. Students were normally over 25 and already professionally qualified in the subjects they would teach or were already teaching. Garnett also offered a range of courses in teacher training unique to the College, leading to University of London diplomas, MA, or CNAA B.Ed. (Council for National Academic Awards). With a student-staff ration of 8 to 1 the college was considered expensive to maintain, and was one of only four further education teacher training colleges in the country. With the support of the Inner London Education Authority, Thames Polytechnic negotiated a merger with Garnett College in 1986. By 1990 all the students from Garnett College had been moved to Thames Polytechnic's Avery Hill site and a new site at Wapping.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Garnett College, 1946-1988, comprising Governors' minutes, 1946-1987; Governors' papers, 1947-1987; minutes of the Academic Board, 1962-1987; papers of the Academic Board, 1975-1987; minutes and papers of the Boards of Studies, [1966-1987]; minutes and papers of the Academic Planning Committee, 1979-1987; minutes and papers of the Academic Services Committee, 1979-1987; minutes of the Selection Sub-Committee, 1970-1974; Admissions and Recruitment Committee minutes, 1978-1987 and papers, 1977-1987; minutes of the Admissions and Recruitment Committee Special Admissions, 1973-1987; Cultural and Community Affairs Sub-Committee, 1972-1987; Educational Disadvantages Unit minutes, 1977-1979; Equal Opportunities Committee, 1984-1987; minutes and papers of the Examinations Sub-Committee, 1970-1975; Finance Committee minutes, 1971-1987 and papers, 1971-1986; minutes and papers of the General Purposes Committees, 1971-1987; minutes of the Library Committee, 1972-1978;
minutes and papers of committees on Short Courses, Further Courses and New Courses, 1972-1979; Research and Development Committee minutes, 1972-1986 and papers, 1973-1986; Joint Committee on Remission minutes and papers, 1981-1987;
Staff Council minutes, 1978-1983 and papers, 1978-1984; Staff Development Committee minutes and papers, 1972-1987; Staff Meeting minutes, 1952-1978 and papers, 1954-1978;
minutes of the Faculty of Commercial and Industrial Arts, 1978-1985; Faculty of Education, 1973-1985; Faculty of Humanities and Business Studies, 1975-1985; Faculty of Science and Technology, 1973-1985;
minutes and papers of the Future Development of Garnett College Committee, 1975-1978; minutes and papers of the working party and Committee on Future of Diplomas, 1979-1986; minutes and papers relating to the merger of Garnett College with Thames Polytechnic, 1985-1987;
examination papers, 1972-1986; papers and reports relating to courses, 1980-1985; account books, 1981-1988; scrap books, 1947-1971; prospectuses, 1951-1987; handbooks and information booklets, [1970s]; photographs of the College and students; student publications, [1950-1985].
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The papers are organised as follows: College documents; Publications and prospectuses; Other publications; Books; Former students.
Conditions governing access:
Researchers wishing to consult the archives should contact Ann Murphy, Head of Information Services, University of Greenwich
Conditions governing reproduction:
Photocopying is permitted at the discretion of the Librarian.
A list is available at the University of Greenwich Woolwich Campus.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
The archive was compiled by Mr Tom Appleton, Vice-Principal of the College when it merged with Thames Polytechnic.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Acquired on the merger of Garnett College and Thames Polytechnic.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Records relating to the buildings which Garnett College occupied at Roehampton, Downshire House, Manresa House and Mount Clare are held by London Metropolitan Archives.
Archivist's note: Sources: An Illustrated History of the University of Greenwich Thomas Hinde (University of Greenwich, 1996). Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: July 2002