Reference code(s): GB 2121 South West London College
Held at: University of Greenwich
Title: South West London College
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: 2 files
Name of creator(s): South West London College
A number of institutions amalgamated to create South West London College in 1966. A Branch Institute of Battersea Polytechnic was opened in 1901 at Tooting to serve the Balham and Tooting area. Balham Commercial Institute moved to Tooting Broadway in 1935 and offered evening courses. The Clapham Junction Commercial Evening Institute amalgamated with Balham Commercial Institute and became the Balham and Tooting College of Commerce in 1957. The College comprised two departments, professional studies and social and general studies. In 1961 London County Council included the College among its seven commercial colleges designated for advanced work, and in 1966 it was renamed South West London College. The College specialised in degrees and diplomas in accountancy, business and management studies, with the first full time course offered in 1967. By 1991 a range of sub-degree level work was offered along with management courses. The College was designated a Higher Education Centre under the Education Reform Act 1988 and in 1990 planned to merge with Thames Polytechnic in order to attract greater numbers of students. Thames planned to move the College to Manresa House in Roehampton from its Tooting Broadway site. South Bank Polytechnic also proposed a merger, but the College was dissolved by the Secretary of State for Education in 1991. Students were dispersed to a number of colleges: South Bank Polytechnic, Thames Polytechnic, City of London Polytechnic, Kingston Polytechnic, Polytechnic of Central London and the Polytechnic of North London. Staff were amalgamated with South Bank Polytechnic and Thames Polytechnic.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of South West London College, 1988-1991, comprising minutes and papers of the Governing Body, 1989-1991; papers relating to the Department of Accountancy, 1989-1990; staff meetings and staff circulars, 1989-1990; Academic Board papers, 1988; budget papers, ; papers relating to policy and procedures for staff and students, ; Education Assets Board, 1989; report and papers relating to proposed mergers with Thames Polytechnic and South Bank Polytechnic, 1990; strategic plan, 1989; marketing plan for 1990-1993; prospectuses and course leaflets, 1991-1992.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The collection is unsorted.
Conditions governing access:
Researchers wishing to consult the archives should contact Ann Murphy, Head of Information Services, University of Greenwich
Conditions governing reproduction:
Photocopying is permitted at the discretion of the Librarian.
The records are uncatalogued.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
The papers were donated to the University of Greenwich in June 1998.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Records of South West London College, 1974-1991, are held by South Bank University Library.
Archivist's note: Sources: The Origins of South Bank University Maxwell Smith and Tommy Geddes [London, 1992]; An Illustrated History of the University of Greenwich Thomas Hinde (University of Greenwich, 1996). Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: July 2002