Reference code(s): GB 0114 MS0244
Held at: Royal College of Surgeons of England
Title: Howship, John (1781-1841)
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: 2 boxes
Name of creator(s): Howship | John | 1781-1841 | surgeon
John Howship was born in 1781. He became assistant surgeon at the St George's Infirmary, London and a lecturer at the school of the St George's Hospital. He moved to the Charing Cross Hospital as Assistant Surgeon, in 1834, and was promoted to chief surgeon in 1836 after his predecessor, Thomas Pettigrew was dismissed after being found guilty of demanding and obtaining £500 from Mr Howship for the assistant surgeon position. Howship gave the Hunterian Lecture at the College of Surgeons in 1833. He died in 1841.
Scope and content/abstract:
Papers of John Howship, 1799-1805, comprising a volume of manuscript notes by Howship, titled John Howship March the 8th 1799, taken at physiological lectures by Matthew Baillie, lectures by William Cruikshank, and including notes on dissections and cases, 1799-1805; a volume of manuscript notes by Howship, titled John Howship October 1799, taken at lectures by William Cruikshank, Sir Everard Home, Mr Crichton, and Mr Wilson, including notes of John Heaviside's cases, 1799-1803; a manuscript copy by Howship, of Matthew Baillie's Morbid Anatomy, including detailed drawings of the plates; and a list titled Mr Howship's Preparations, made by William Augustus Hillman of preparations purchased at Howship's museum and descriptions taken from Howship's catalogue.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
As outlined in Scope and Content.
Conditions governing access:
By written appointment only.
Conditions governing reproduction:
No photocopying permitted.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
John Howships notebooks were purchased from Mr Howship's sale on 21 Apr 1841; the manuscript copy of Baillie's volume was presented by [?]; and the provenance of Mr Howship's Preparations are not known.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Archivist's note: Compiled by Anya Turner.
Source: http://www.whonamedit.com/doctor.cfm/1506.html and R J Minney, The Two Pillars of Charing Cross: The Story of a Famous Hospital, (1967)
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Sep 2008