AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

Imperial College Expansion Scheme

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0098 I
Held at: Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: Imperial College Expansion Scheme
Date(s): Created 1860-1992 (ongoing)
Level of description: Series of Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine records
View parent record
Extent: 33 boxes
Name of creator(s): Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine


Administrative/Biographical history:

Schemes for the development of Imperial College have led to the rebuilding of the South Kensington site, particularly from the 1950s to mid 1970s. By 1935, Sir Henry Tizard, Rector of Imperial College from 1929-1942, had developed an expansion scheme to be achieved by securing the 'island site' campus (bounded by Exhibition Road, Prince Consort Road, Queen's Gate and the Museums) in South Kensington.
The Jubilee Expansion Scheme, approved in 1957, saw the remodelling of the College site on the securing of the 'island site'. The City and Guilds building was demolished in 1962, and the Imperial Institute building in 1963. The Collcutt Tower of the Imperial Institute (now Queen's Tower) was saved and became free-standing in 1968. New buildings were erected and residential student accommodation improved.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of South Kensington Development Schemes, 1936-1948, and Imperial College Expansion Scheme, including proposed schemes for South Kensington, 1936-1945; minutes of the Sites Committee, 1945-1950; plans and correspondence relating to the South Kensington site, 1944-1947; notes and plan of the Chemical Technology extension, 1949; new biochemistry building, 1950; purchase of various properties on Queen's Gate, 1937-1969, including war damage compensation; papers relating to the development of Silwood Park Field Station, Sunninghill, Berkshire, 1954-1957; minutes of the Dean's Committee, later Development Committee, 1953-1970, with correspondence (IA);
papers relating to academic posts, 1953-1962, including new chairs, 1953; postgraduate bursaries, 1955-1957 (IB);

papers relating to Imperial College Expansion Scheme, including press cuttings, 1946-1970; early history, 1950-1955; reports and plans for the expansion scheme, 1958; correspondence concerning the proposed demolition of the City and Guilds College building, 1955-1956; notes concerning future Student Union facilities, 1955;
papers of Sir Patrick Linstead, Rector, including correspondence concerning the expansion scheme, 1944-1966, notably the retention of the Imperial Institute building, 1955; the Collcutt (now Queen's) Tower, 1956-1957; 170, Queen's Gate, 1957-1963; accommodation for departments, 1959-1965; new hall of residence (Linstead Hall), 1963-1969;
papers relating to the demolition programme and architects, including correspondence with the architects, 1951-1963; plans and finance, 1953-1967; demolition programme, 1954-1957; Imperial Institute, 1955-1956; building programme, 1957-1958; use, restoration and occupation of Queen's Gate and Prince's Gardens, 1957-1962; Royal College of Science adaptations, 1957-1962; correspondence relating to the Roderic Hill Building, 1949-1962; Biochemistry building, 1964-1967; adaptations to the Royal School of Mines, 1958-1970; papers relating to the Falmouth Gates, including the Memorial fund, 1962-1965; design of the gates, 1964-1969; report and correspondence relating to landscaping, 1958-1967; souvenirs from the demolished Royal College of Science building, 1956-1977;
papers relating to halls of residence, including Prince's Gardens, development scheme, 1957-1962; acquisition, 1954-1960; architects, 1956-1976; occupiers of the site, 1860-1959; correspondence relating to Linstead Hall benefactions, 1963-1975, extension, 1976-1980 and building specification, 1964; correspondence concerning Southside Halls opening and maintenance, 1963-1966; papers concerning Weeks Hall, 1956-1975, including the opening, 1958-1959, structural failures, 1973-1975;
papers relating to the Mechanical Engineering Building, 1956-1960, including contract documents, 1956-1957; papers relating to the Physics Building, 1953-1975, including planning, 1953-1964, opening of the Blackett Laboratory, 1975; correspondence and opening programme relating to the Huxley building 1966-1976; correspondence relating to the College Block, 1958-1969; papers relating to the Science Museum Library, 1953-1962; college estates development plan, 1992 (IC).

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records are arranged in sections as outlined in the scope and content.

Conditions governing access:

Researchers wishing to consult the Archives should first contact the College Archivist, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ, for an appointment.

Conditions governing reproduction:

A photocopying service is available at the discretion of the Archivist. Photocopies are supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Archivist.

Finding aids:

A catalogue is available at the College Archives.

Archival Information

Archival history:

Created and accumulated by Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine during the course of business.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Allied Materials

Related material:

Records relating to South Kensington Institutions (ABM-AK), Field Research Stations and Harlington Athletics Ground (KZF), Royal School of Mines and Royal College of Science (D), Royal College of Science (E) and City and Guilds of London Institute (F), held at Imperial College.

Correspondence, plans and photographs relating to the South Kensington Redevelopment Scheme, 1933-1972, held by the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851, Imperial College.

National Register of Archives: Click here to view NRA record

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project.

Rules or conventions:
General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
October 2000

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"