AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): H60/LH
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1884-1946
Level of description: subfonds
View parent record
Extent: 32.62 linear metres
Name of creator(s): London Homoeopathic Hospital | 1850-1948 Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital | 1948-2007 Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine | 2007


Administrative/Biographical history:

Homoeopathy was introduced to Britain by Dr Frederick Hervey Quin in the first half of the nineteenth century. Dr Quin had been trained in the homoeopathic system in Germany by Dr Samuel Hahnemann, the 'father of homoeopathy'. Quin developed the first homoeopathic practice in Britain and became extremely successful. His success led him to open a homoeopathic dispensary for the poor, this failed but he turned instead to the idea of a hospital specialising in homoeopathic medicine. He raised sufficient funds, mainly from his aristocratic patients and supporters, to buy a property at 32 Golden Square for his first hospital. The first patients were admitted on 10 April 1850, 156 in-patients and over 1500 outpatients were treated in the first year. This was the London Homoeopathic hospital. The Hospital later moved to a site on the corner of Great Ormond Street and Queen's Square.

In 1948 the London Homoeopathic Hospital became part of the National Health Service, it was also around this time that it gained royal patronage and became the Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital. Under the NHS the administration of the hospital was in the hands of the London Homoeopathic Hospital Management Committee under the London (Teaching) Regional Hospital Board. NHS reorganisation in 1974 found the Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital part of the North East Thames Regional Health Authority and South Camden (Teaching) District Health Authority. This changed again in 1982 when the hospital came under Bloomsbury District Health Authority.

In 1992 the Homoeopathic Hospital became part of Parkside NHS Trust. On 1st April 2002 the hospital became part of University College London Hospitals NHS Trust (UCLH) as part of its Specialist Hospitals Board, enabling closer collaboration between complementary therapies and conventional medicine. From 2002-2005 the RLHH underwent a comprehensive 20million redevelopment transforming it into a state of the art treatment and research facility, while this work was in progress the hospital's clinical services were relocated to Greenwell Street adjacent to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital.

The renovation was planned with consultation from patients and clinicians to provide a peaceful healing environment, as well as facilities for group clinics, education and an information centre. The renovated building was re-opened in June 2005.

In 2007 the senior clinician and management staff unanimously decided that it was the right time to rename the hospital to the Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine in order to more accurately reflect the nature of its work.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital comprising annotated copy of the laws and bye-laws of the Hospital, 1884; registers of nurses with photographs, 1918-1946 and case books arranged by doctor or practitioner, 1889-1923.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

These records are arranged according to a classification scheme for hospital records: General Hospital Administration (A), Patients' Administration (B), Finance Office (D), Endowments (E), Related Documentation (Y) and Prints and Photographs (PH).

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright is held by the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in 2002 and 2005.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
February 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"