AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

HOSPITAL FOR DISEASES OF THE SKIN

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): H09/HDS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: HOSPITAL FOR DISEASES OF THE SKIN
Date(s): 1842-1945
Level of description: subfonds
View parent record
Extent: 0.55 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Hospital for Diseases of the Skin x London Infirmary for the Cure of Diseases of the Skin x London Cutaneous Institution for the treatment and cure of non infectious Diseases of the Skin

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The London Infirmary for the Cure of Diseases of the Skin was established in 1841. It was based at 84 London Wall. In 1844 the name was changed to the London Cutaneous Institution for the treatment and cure of non infectious Diseases of the Skin and the Hospital moved to 25 Bridge Street, Blackfriars. Finally from March 1850 it became The Hospital for Diseases of the Skin.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Hospital for Diseases of the Skin, including Committee of Management minutes, 1842-1907; financial records, 1881-1945 and papers relating to endowments, 1886-1914.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records are arranged in three sections according to a classification scheme for hospital records: Minutes and General Administration (A), Finance and Accounts (D) and Endowments (E).

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

The records of the Hospital for Diseases of the Skin have been arranged with those of the Guy's Hospital Group, although it was never part of the Group. They were deposited with the records of Guy's Hospital Group, long after the Hospital had closed down, and therefore may have been in the custody of Guy's Hospital for a number of years. In 1965 the Bermondsey and Southwark Hospital Management Committee was dissolved and Guy's Hospital took over the remaining Hospitals which had been administered by it. The Hospital for Diseases of the Skin had been one of those hospitals until its closure in 1953, so it is possible that its records were inherited by Guy's when it assumed responsibility for previous Bermondsey and Southwark hospitals, and deposited amongst its own records.

Immediate source of acquisition:

ACC/1656

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
February 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING