AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): ACC/2707
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1897-1980
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.38 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Methodist Church of Great Britain x United Methodist Church x Wesleyan Methodist Church x Primitive Methodist Church


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Wandsworth Circuit had orginally been part of the Hammersmith Circuit. In 1889 the Wandsworth Circuit was divided into several Circuits, one of which was the new Tooting Circuit formed of Upper Tooting, Lower Tooting, Wimbeldon and Merton Churches. This was renamed the London Mission (Tooting) Circuit at the end of 1923.

Emmanuel Mission Hall, Garratt Lane was founded in 1885 and its work was largely superseded by Tooting Central Hall built in 1910.

Balham Hill Methodist Church was in operation from 1898 to around 1920. The Wesleyan Church at Mitcham was built in 1908, the Southfields Methodist Society was founded in 1905 and this Society later built Southfields Central Hall.

Colliers Wood Methodist Mission was built in 1934.

The Primitive Methodists operated several Chapels in the area which later joined the London Mission (Tooting) Circuit following the Unification of the Methodist Church in 1932. The registers of baptisms for Lynwood Road, Upper Tooting include baptisms performed in other Primitive Methodist Chapels. The Church at Balham Hill (Oldridge Road) was formerly at 1 Balham Grove.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the London Methodist Mission (Tooting) Circuit and its constituent Wesleyan and Primitive Chapels, 1897-1980: Balham Hill Church, Colliers Wood Methodist Mission, Emmanuel Mission Hall, Mitcham Church, Southfields Methodist Society, Tooting Central Hall, and Primitive Methodist Churches in Lynwood Road and Oldridge Road, including minutes of various meetings including Local Preachers, Overseas Missions, Women's and Finance Committees; Circuit Schedules; registers of baptisms; financial accounts; correspondence; newsletters; postcards; programmes and histories.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Divided into Circuit records and the records of individual Churches.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received 1989 (Acc/2707).

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"