AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

LEYSIAN MISSION HALL, CITY ROAD

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): ACC/2745
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: LEYSIAN MISSION HALL, CITY ROAD
Date(s): 1910-1987
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.25 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Methodist Church of Great Britain x United Methodist Church x Wesleyan Methodist Church x Primitive Methodist Church

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Leys School was opened in Cambridge in 1875, intended to be "the Methodist Eton".

The Leysian Mission was started in 1886 by former pupils of the Leys School who were concerned about the social and housing conditions in the East End of London. Its first premises were in nearby Whitecross Street but in 1902 the Mission moved into grand purpose-built premises in Old Street (just round the corner from Wesley's Chapel on City Road). It had vibrant evangelical and social ministries and encouraged alumni from the Cambridge school to give time to programmes that reached out to the poor. In the early days, there was a Medical Mission, a "poor man's lawyer", a relief committee, feeding programmes, meetings for men and women, and a range of services and musical activities.

Royalty patronised the Mission's great events and the school in Cambridge maintained strong links. However, the ravages of World War II and the advent of the post-war Welfare State saw a change in circumstance that led, eventually, to disposing of the buildings and the successful merger with Wesley's Chapel in 1989.

Source: http://www.wesleyschapel.org.uk/mission.htm.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Marriage registers of Leysian Mission Hall, City Road, London, 1910-1987.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

5 volumes.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records transferred from the General Register Office, Segersworth Road, Titchfield, Fareham, Hants. PO15 5RR on 30 August 1989 (ACC/2745) after the closure of the Church.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Records of the Leysian Mission can be found at ACC/3422. See also ACC/2330 and N/M/044 for records of the City Road Methodist Circuit; LMA/4197, ACC/2330 and N/M/041 for more records of Wesley's Chapel; and SC/PHL/02 for photographs of Wesley's Chapel.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING