AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ISLINGTON CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): N/C/10
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ISLINGTON CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL
Date(s): 1743-1864
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.35 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Lower Street (now Essex Road) Congregational Chapel was built in 1744 on the south corner of Greenman's Lane. It was the first dissenting chapel in Islington. During the ministry of John Gawsell, 1761-1768, seceders met in Ward's Place, an old house just south of the chapel, but the congregation was reunited when their minisiter left. Numbers rose after 1768 and galleries were built to provide added accommodation. The church was known as Islington Meeting House in 1800. The Chapel was much enlarged in 1820, when the front was brought forward. A schoolroom for 200 was also later added. Attendance in 1851 was 476 in the morning and 560 in the evening. The lease expired in 1865 and a new chapel in River Street (later River Place) was registered in 1864. A lecture room was added by 1872. However, attendance in 1903 was 19 in the morning and 86 in the evening, and the church closed in 1909.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Islington Congregational Chapel, Lower Street, including documents of title regarding the site of the meeting house and other church properties, 1744-1864; administrative papers, 1769-1837; financial statements, 1744 and 1795; papers relating to Lord Sidmouth's Bill for regulation of dissenting ministers, 1811 - 1812; minute books for meetings of managers, trustees, members and subscribers, 1746-1846 and treasurer's account books, 1790-1827.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Legal Documents; Administrative; Minutes and Accounts.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited on 20 August 1964 (AC/64/48) and on 19 June 1968 (AC/68/63).

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING