AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

WEST DULWICH CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): N/C/13
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: WEST DULWICH CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL
Date(s): 1853-1944
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.91 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The foundation stone of West Dulwich Congregational Chapel in Rosendale Road was laid on October 7, 1851, by the Reverend J. Burnet. The building soon proved too small and a larger chapel was erected at the corner of Chancellor Grove and Park Hall Road, and opened in 1855. The foundation stone of the chapel in Rosendale Road was incorporated in the fabric of the new chapel. The chapel was destroyed by enemy action in the war of 1939-1945.

From: 'Norwood: Churches', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 173-180.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of West Dulwich Congregational Chapel including register of marriages, 1939-1941; lists of members and registers of attendance, 1853-1939; forms of commendation and applications for transfer, 1930-1944; minute book of Church meetings, 1868-1930; minute book of Deacons' meetings, 1868-1935; minute book of Chapel Building Improvement Committee, 1870; correspondence relating to administrative and social matters,1856-1892; financial accounts, 1854-1945; papers relating to property owned by the church, 1855-1856; ground plan of chapel, 1863; papers relating to Trustees, 1855-1889; certificate registering Dulwich Chapel, Park Road, Lower Norwood as a Congregationalist or Independents' place of worship for solemnization of marriages, 1859; minutes of Literary Society and Committee meetings, 1895 - 1908; Musical Committee minute book, 1899-1904 and printed circular letter raising funds for alterations to church, with sketch of proposed alterations, 1938.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

In sections: Volumes, Registers Reports and Minute Books; Accounts and Correspondence; Property Records; Trustees; Accounts; Societies; Printed Items.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited on 11 February 1985 (ACC/2083) and 20 August 1964 (AC/64/48).

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING