AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

BRENTFORD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): N/C/34
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: BRENTFORD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
Date(s): 1693-1955
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.33 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

From 1693 to 1783 the Presbyterians had a chapel on a leasehold site off Ferry Lane, Old Brentford. In 1783 they built a new chapel on a freehold site in Brentford Butts (Boston Road). The attendance dwindling greatly, the Trustees of the Presbyterian Church in 1840 invited the Church and Congregation of Albany Congregational Chapel to enter into it [nowhere is there any statement of the precise legal nature of this entering]. Although the Church and Congregation of Albany Chapel, having moved to Boston Road, wished to sell their former chapel, the Trustees were unwilling. Attempts were made to create another Church at the Albany Chapel, which succeeded in January 1854. By 1875, however, this Church was becoming very weak, and in October 1875 it resolved to amalgamate with Boston Road.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Boston Road Presbyterian Church, Albany Congregational Chapel and the Brentford Congregational Church, Boston Road; including volume containing baptisms, burials, membership and minutes of Church Meetings, 1693-1867; volume containing documents regarding finance, purchase of chapel site and construction of chapel and minutes of meetings, 1731-1840; minutes of deacon's meetings, 1883-1891; volume containing minutes of various Church meetings, membership rolls and correspondence, 1925-1941; volume from Albany Chapel containing history of chapel, minutes of Church meetings, baptisms and collections, 1853-1875; documents relating to property, 1709-1825; and papers concerning the reopening of the Church after damage by enemy action, 1954-1955.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

N/C/034/1-5: Administration; N/C/034/6-18: Property; N/C/034/19-21: Reopening of Church.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited 1964 (AC/064/48), 1965 (AC/065/24) and 1966 (AC/066/60).

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING