AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

EDMONTON CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (UPPER)

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): N/C/64
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: EDMONTON CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (UPPER)
Date(s): 1788-1958
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.31 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Edmonton and Tottenham or Snells Park Congregational chapel derived from an Independent chapel which was opened on the east side of Fore Street, near the Tottenham boundary, in 1788. The building was enlarged in 1803 and in 1820 consisted of a chapel and vestry within a burial-ground. A schoolroom was added in 1838. When John Snell's estate was sold in 1848, the Church purchased a plot on the site of his mansion, between Langhedge Lane and Park Road (later Snells Park), for a larger chapel. The new chapel was opened in 1850. With accommodation for 850 people, it was twice the size of the old chapel. On census Sunday 1851 590 people attended in the morning and 498 in the evening, the highest figures for any nonconformist chapel, and in 1903 305 people attended in the morning and 432 in the evening. The old chapel continued in use as a schoolroom until the late 1960s. Lectures were given there in the 1870s, leading to a secession and the foundation of Lower Edmonton Congregational church in Knight's Lane. The two congregations reunited to form Edmonton Congregational church on a new site in 1959, although the Edmonton and Tottenham chapel continued to be used for worship until it was sold to the council and demolished in around 1965.

From: 'Edmonton: Protestant nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 188-196.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Baptism and burial register, 1792-1826; register of burials, 1792-1793; general minute book, 1788-1901; Church meetings minute book, 1789-1907; Church book containing notes on foundation of church and membership list, 1789-1862; register of members, 1828-1959; papers of the Sunday School, 1826-1902; minute book of Church Societies, 1844-1876, including Christian Instruction Society, Congregational Chapel Temperance Society, Working Men's Temperance Society and the United Societies' Committee.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Registers; Minutes; Sunday School.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited 15 October 1968 (AC/68/096).

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING