AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

NEW COURT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, CAREY STREET

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): N/C/69
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: NEW COURT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, CAREY STREET
Date(s): 1707-1975
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.21 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

New Court, one of the earliest nonconformist chapels in London, dates from 1662 when under the Act of Uniformity Doctor Thomas Manton was ejected from the church of Saint Paul's, Covent Garden. He established himself as a nonconformist minister in a chapel built for him in Bridges Street in the same parish. The church remained there until 1682 when as a result of the Five Mile Act it was forced to close due to the imprisonment of its minister, Richard Baxter. James II's Declaration of Indulgence in 1687 enabled another nonconformist minister, Daniel Burgess, to re-open the chapel and after nine years the congregation moved to more substantial premises in Russell Court, Drury Lane, to a building between an old burial ground and the theatre.

On the expiry of the lease in 1705 another move was necessary and a new building was erected in New Court, Carey Street. The congregation remained there for over a hundred and fifty years and as a result the chapel thereafter was known as New Court Chapel.

While at Carey Street the chapel was attacked by a mob supporting Doctor Sachaverell, a high church fanatic who had preached a libellous sermon against dissenters, and this caused it to close for a short time. It was also during this period that New Court was specified as being a Congregational chapel for the first time. Until then the differences between the Presbyterians and Congregationalists had not been well defined. Thomas Bradbury, a minister who had come to New Court from a nearby nonconformist church at Fetter Lane, stipulated that the chapel should be run on the Congregational model.

The extension of the Law Courts in 1866 forced the congregation to move again and a new church was built at Tollington Park. Mission premises at Lennox Road were acquired in the 1880s. The Tollington Park premises were sold to the Roman Catholic church in 1959 (it is now Saint Mellitus Roman Catholic Church). The congregation moved to new premises on Regina Road in 1961 where it remained until its closure in 1976.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Registers of baptisms, 1871-1974; registers of marriages, 1943-1948; register of members' attendance, 1934-1947; register of deacons' attendance, 1905-1941; registers of preaching engagements, 1896-1953; applications for fellowship, 1889-1971; Church Meeting minute books, 1707-1974; Deacons' Meeting minute books, 1877-1967; Choir Meeting minute books, 1924-1969; minute books of Trustees Meetings, General Purposes Committee, Supply Committee, Deacons Finance Committee, and Committee for Alterations and Additions, 1870-1934; Sunday School Teachers' Meeting minute books, 1932-1961; Women's Council minute books, 1917-1975; accounts, 1871-1972; deeds, 1754-1959; correspondence and related material, 1813-1975; Church magazines, 1885-1974; Church manuals, 1873-1962; printed material relating to New Court Chapel, 1792-1921 and sketches and photographs, 1872-1967.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Registers; Minute Books; Administrative; Printed Items.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 3 accessions in 1976 and 1978 (AC/76/018, AC/76/048 and AC/78/038).

Allied Materials

Related material:

For marriage registers see LMA/4094.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING