AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

STREATHAM HILL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, STREATHAM, LAMBETH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4130
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: STREATHAM HILL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, STREATHAM, LAMBETH
Date(s): 1961-1979
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Streatham Hill Union Chapel was built in 1829; this was a union of Anglican and dissenting congregations under the Reverend J. Hunt. The union was an uneasy one and in 1837 the Anglicans decamped to found Christ Church, Roupell Park; while in 1840 the Baptists established the new Salem Chapel in New Park Road, leaving the Chapel to the Congregationalists.

In 1850 the Reverend Hunt was persuaded to leave, and under the new ministry of Reverend John Hall the Streatham Hill Congregational Church emerged. In 1871 the old chapel was demolished and replaced by the present church; the school and hall were built in 1878. In 1972 the church became a congregation of the United Reformed Church with the name Brixton Hill United Reformed Church.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Marriage register for Streatham Hill Congregational Church, Streatham, 1961-1979.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

One volume.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 1998 (B98/202).

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also Lambeth Archives Department for records of Brixton Hill United Reformed Church, reference IV/177.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING