AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

THE UNITED CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES AT BOWES, ARCADIAN GARDENS, HIGH ROAD, WOOD GREEN

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4122
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: THE UNITED CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES AT BOWES, ARCADIAN GARDENS, HIGH ROAD, WOOD GREEN
Date(s): 1949-1975
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.2 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint James's Church, Wood Green, was formed in 1875, when the Presbyterian Church of England took over an iron chapel which had been used for four years by the Church of Scotland. There were about 100 members in 1877, when work started on a church in Green Lanes. The new building, of redbrick dressed with Bath stone, was noted for its grandeur. It seated 400 worshippers, apart from those in the galleries, but was soon extended to take 700; in 1902 it had the fourth largest congregation within the London Presbytery. In 1950 members united with Bowes Park Congregational church, whose premises they used as the United Church of Saint James-at-Bowes. The former Presbyterian church afterwards served as a warehouse and survived in 1974.

Bowes Park Congregational church began as a hall and schoolrooms, registered in 1902, at the corner of Arcadian Gardens and Wood Green High Road. A large red-brick church with stone dressings, adjoining the hall, was founded in 1909 and registered in 1912. After the congregation had united with that of Saint James's Presbyterian church in 1950, the premises became those of the United Church of Saint James-at-Bowes.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 356-364.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Marriage registers for the United Church of Saint James-at-Bowes, Wood Green, 1949-1975.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Four volumes.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 1998 (B98/202).

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING