AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

EAST HAM CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, WAKEFIELD STREET, EAST HAM

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4112
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: EAST HAM CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, WAKEFIELD STREET, EAST HAM
Date(s): 1910-1940
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.25 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Wakefield Street church originated in 1886, when S. W. Patmore opened a mission in the Holme Road Assembly Room. In 1890 this work was taken over by the London Congregational Union, which erected an iron church in Stamford Road, with E. T. Egg as temporary pastor. In 1897 H. G. Brown became the first settled minister, and in 1901 a brick church, seating 800, was opened in Wakefield Street. In 1903 this was the strongest Congregational church in East Ham. A Sunday school was built in 1911, when the church membership was 215. In 1940 the church was destroyed by bombing, and from 1941 to 1945 the congregation worshipped in East Avenue Presbyterian church. The Sunday school, fronting on Myrtle Road, survived, and was later used for worship until 1957, when the church was rebuilt.

Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 31-38.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Marriage registers for East Ham Congregational Church, Wakefield Street, East Ham, 1910-1940.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Five volumes.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 1998 (B98/202).

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING