AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4268
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1897-1948
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.08 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Methodist Church of Great Britain x United Methodist Church x Wesleyan Methodist Church x Primitive Methodist Church


Administrative/Biographical history:

Willoughby Road Wesleyan Methodist church opened as a Sunday school chapel in 1885, on land acquired in 1882 near the corner of Hampden Road. Classrooms were built in 1889 and a church, perhaps replacing an iron one, was opened on the corner site to the east in 1893. A lecture hall and more classrooms were added to the north in 1903. The congregation, which belonged to the Finsbury Park circuit, was joined by many from Mattison Road in 1963. After a fire in 1973 Willoughby Road church was replaced by a yellow-brick structure which, with the adjoining schoolroom in Hampden Road, seated 300.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate (1980), pp. 183-189.


Scope and content/abstract:

Invitation to a "meeting for the promotion of holiness" conducted by Mrs Booth [Florence Eleanor Booth, wife of General Bramwell Booth] of the Salvation Army in the Regent Hall, Oxford Street, 1897 and programme for the funeral service of General Bramwell Booth, eldest son of William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, 1929.

Willoughby Road Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School Official Handbook for the annual bazaar or sale of work, listing the different stalls and describing the work of the Sunday School, 1906. The Sunday School was attached to Willoughby Road Wesleyan Methodist Church, Harringay.

Handwritten letter from the North Balwyn Baptist Church, Melbourne, Australia, to Mr D Kent of Shackleton Road, Southall, Middlesex, regarding a food parcel sent to Mr Kent by the Noth Balwyn Baptist Church and describing the church and its environs, 1948.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:


Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: City of London

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 2000 (B00/071).

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"