AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4295
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1828-1990
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.3 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Paddington Chapel was a Congregational Chapel built in 1813. The building of the church was funded by businessman Thomas Wilson, who supported the building of several churches across the United Kingdom. The church was situated in Saint Marylebone. In 1815 a Sunday School was opened. The Sunday School began to include Writing Classes which developed into a full time Day School, which was open between 1828 and 1874. An attempt was made in 1919 to change the name of the church to "Saint Marylebone Congregational Church" to clear up misunderstandings that it was situated in Paddington, but the decision was made to retain the old name. In 1941 the church was hit by an incendiary bomb but it sustained little damage. The church was closed in the late 1970s and the building was demolished in 1981.

In 1880 the church opened the Earl Street Mission in Lission Grove. By 1907 the Mission was so successful that another hall was purchased in Carlisle Street, although this had to be demolished in 1920. The Mission ran various evangelical and social welfare activities including a Sunday School, Mother's Meetings, Burial Club, Men's Meeting, club for the unemployed and Youth Centre. The Hall was destroyed in an air raid in 1940 and subsequently closed in 1953.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Paddington Chapel (Congregational), including register of baptism, 1853-1859; Deacon's meeting minute books, 1864-1956; Church meeting minutes, [1860]-1954; minutes of other church committees, 1862-1952; papers relating to Chapel membership, 1829-1895; financial accounts, 1870-1990; builders accounts and report on alterations to Chapel and School, 1868-1879; trust deeds and other legal papers relating to properties owned by the church, 1844-1954; letters received by the Chapel, 1867-1872; papers relating to the Sunday School, 1827-1956; issues of the Chapel magazine 'Paddington Monthly', 1908-1930 and 1962-1975; copies of the "Manual for the Church and congregation worshipping in Paddington Chapel", including annual reports and accounts, 1866-1939 (with gaps); printed items including orders of service, 1897-1989 and a history of the Chapel, 1963.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

In sections: A: Registers, B: Administration, C: Sunday School and D: Printed Material.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 2001 (B01/056)

Allied Materials

Related material:

City of Westminster Archives Centre hold a marriage register for the Paddington Chapel (ref Non-Conformist Registers/Paddington Chapel/1).

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"