AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CHELSEA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, BELGRAVE

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4404
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CHELSEA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, BELGRAVE
Date(s): 1845-1945
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.93 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

In 1805 part of Ranelagh House, Chelsea, was hired out by a group of Christians concerned about the 'godlessness' of the local area. They began teaching a Sunday School and, after this proved a success, began adult services with visiting preachers of various denominations. In 1814 the congregation gained a permanent minister who was a Calvinistic Methodist.

In 1818 expanding membership made it necessary to move and a chapel was built on Lower George Street, called the Ranelagh Chapel. In 1845, on the death of the Methodist minister, the church joined the English Presbyterian Church and was renamed Ranelagh Presbyterian Church. The lease on the Lower George Street chapel expired in 1866 and the church merged with a Presbyterian Mission in West Halkin Street, Belgrave Square. The name Belgrave Presbyterian Church was adopted. The church was rebuilt in 1881. In 1923 the church moved to premises in Emperor's Gate, Kensington.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Ranelagh Chapel, later Belgrave Presbyterian Church, including Court of Session minute books, 1845-1922 (including history of the chapel to 1905); Deacon's Court minute books, 1847-1922; minute book of the Trustees of Ranelagh Chapel, 1817-1828; Stewart Memorial Mission minute book, 1883-1945, including annual reports and newspaper cuttings relating to the Mission; minute book of the Presbyterian Fellowship, 1913-1917; annual reports, 1866-1920; Communicants' roll books, 1851-1911; register of baptisms for Ranelagh Chapel, 1838-1844; register of baptisms, 1845-1922 and visitation schedule for South Kensington, with related notes and correspondence, 1927.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records relating to meetings LMA/4404/A, and registers and church records LMA/4404/B.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).

Allied Materials

Related material:

See LMA/4303/E for records of the Belgrave Presbyterian Church Young Men's Association.


Publication note:

Shield, G. C. W. Jubilee of Belgrave Presbyterian Church, West Halkin Street, Belgrave Square. An historical account of the congregation, schools and mission, 1845-95 (London: 1896).

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING