AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

JOHNSON ROAD MISSION, CROYDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4402
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: JOHNSON ROAD MISSION, CROYDON
Date(s): 1904-1975
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.43 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church, Croydon, was founded in 1900. The church hall was constructed in 1901 and the church building completed in 1905 on Croham Road, South Croydon. When the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged in 1972 the church became Saint Paul's United Reformed Church.

A Presbyterian Mission Church was established on Johnson Road, West Croydon, by Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church and Saint George's Presbyterian Church. It was formally recognised as a mission by the Presbytery of London South in March 1912 and was placed under the oversight of Saint Paul's. The Mission was initally known as the "Presbyterian Church of England Johnson Road Mission" but by the 1940s was being referred to as "Saint Paul's Presbyterian Mission Church, Johnson Road". When the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged in 1972 the Mission became Saint George's United Reformed Church. It subsequently appears to have closed or merged with another church.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Presbyterian Church of England Johnson Road Mission, including Mission Committee minute books, 1904 and 1956-1972; Court of Session minute books, 1907-1972; Mission Finance Committee minute books, 1906-1972; Communicants' roll book, 1918-1937; register of baptisms, 1941-1972; Treasurer's account books, 1919-1974; correspondence relating to the Mission, 1926-1963; correspondence and information relating to the Mission constitution, 1912-1941; correspondence, information, plans and a schedule regarding the demolition and subsequent re-building of the Mission, and the re-development of the area, 1971-1974 and architectural plans and sketches of the new Mission building and site, 1972-1973.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Minutes; Registers; Correspondence.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).

Allied Materials

Related material:

For records of Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church, Croydon, see LMA/4401.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING