AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ISLINGTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, COLEBROOK ROW, CITY ROAD, ISLINGTON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4369
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ISLINGTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, COLEBROOK ROW, CITY ROAD, ISLINGTON
Date(s): 1829-1924
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.93 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Islington Presbyterian Church was situated on River Terrace (which was later renamed Colebrooke Row). It was also known as the Scotch church. It was built in 1834 to replace a chapel in Chadwell Street, Clerkenwell, and was a member of the Presbyterian Synod of England in connexion with the Church of Scotland. It later became identified with the Free Church of Scotland, formed in 1843; and then later was part of the Presbyterian Church of England, formed in 1876. By the 1920s services were held in Saint Peter's school owing to the dilapidated condition of the church, in 1923 the members disbanded and the buildings were sold.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Islington Presbyterian Church including Court of Session minute books, 1829-1924; Deacons' Court minute books, 1865-1896; minute book of the General Congregational Meetings, the Congregational Committee and the Trustees, 1843-1866; Trustees' minute book, 1886-1880; Manager's minute books, 1880-1896 and 1902-1907; Manager's and Deacons' minute book, 1907-1923; Building Committee minute book, 1833-1835; Young Men's Fellowship Association minute book, 1886-1893; Communicants' roll book, 1835-1923; register of baptisms, 1829-1920; Sunday School admissions register, 1899-1906; register of financial contributions, 1885-1921 and 'Aemulus', a manuscript magazine supported by the members of the church and produced by the Young Men's Association, 1886.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

This collection consists of records relating to meetings LMA/4369/A, registers and finance LMA/4369/B and church literature LMA/4369/C.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also LMA/4095.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING