AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4362
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1865-1963
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.46 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Presbyterian Church in Poplar was first situated on Manor Street, off the East India Road, and was called the 'East India Road Presbyterian Church'. In 1865 the church moved to former Baptist premises on Plimsoll Street, taking the name 'East India Road Presbyterian Church, Plimsoll Street'. The building was bombed in 1940. In 1954 the congregation voted to change the name of the church to 'Saint Columba's Presbyterian Church'. In 1963 the church united with the Trinity Congregational Church, situated on the same street, with the name Poplar United Church. The Presbyterian church building was demolished.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of East India Road Presbyterian Church, Poplar, including Court of Session minute book, 1865-1963; Deacons' Court minute books, 1898-1962; communicants' roll book, 1930-1963; disjunction certificate book, 1958-1962; register of baptisms, 1954-1962; composite register containing marriages and baptisms, 1892-1939; general correspondence and financial papers, including annual statistical returns, 1941-1962; sketch plans of the proposed rebuilding of the Plimsoll Street premises by architect Felix Goldsmith, 1954.

Also Court of Session minute book, 1909 - 1918, and communicants' roll book, 1911-1918, for Bow Road Presbyterian Church, Poplar.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

This collection consists of records relating to meetings LMA/4362/A, registers LMA/4362/B, and administration and plans LMA/4362/C.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).

Allied Materials

Related material:

For marriage registers see LMA/4118.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"