AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

TRINTY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, HAMPSTEAD

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4352
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: TRINTY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, HAMPSTEAD
Date(s): 1844-1978
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.05 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Trinity Presbyterian Church began after a report by the Presbyterian district visitor for Hampstead that Scottish inhabitants needed a preaching station, 1844. The London Presbytery suggested that a meeting be formed to rent premises. Eight men, including 5 gardeners, rented Temperance Hall in Perrin's Court, recognized as a preaching station. By the end of 1845 the average attendance was 130 in the morning and 80 in the evening. A permament pastor was appointed in 1846. The congregation moved to Well Walk Chapel in 1853, however, the building was dilapidated, so a site at 2 High Street, on the corner of Willoughby Road, was bought in 1861. The new church opened in 1862. It was demolished in 1962 and the members joined Saint Andrew's Presbyterian church, Finchley Road. Shops were built on the site and the hall was converted into Trinity Close.

The Church ran a mission in Perrin's Court, started between 1864 and 1869, including a ragged school. Cottage meetings were held at New End from 1869, and open-air services were held in brickfields and Branch Hill Square. Another mission was formed at Dickinson Street Hall, Kentish Town in 1888, which later moved to 73 Carlton Street.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 153-158.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Trinity Presbyterian Church, Hampstead, including Court of Session minute books, 1844-1971; Deacons' Court minute books, 1921-1971; Women's' Missionary Association minute book, 1906-1912; Committee of Lady Workers minute book, 1901-1912; Building Committee minute book; 1861-1912; Annual reports, 1863-1936; Communion rolls, 1851-1970; registers of baptisms, 1855-1970; Disjunction certificate book, 1907-1946; financial papers, 1893-1927; statistical returns, 1886-1913; architectural plans showing the ground at the rear of the church, suggested extensions and part of the ground floor of the infants school class room, 1889-1890; general correspondence, 1858-1906; Bond and Articles of Agreement between Benjamin Dove, Frederick Dove, William Spencer Dove and Hugh Mackay Matheson and The Building Committee for building work to be carried out on the church building, 1861; manuscript history of the church, 1855-1899 and brass printing plate and a printed invitation to the church's special Jubilee Services, 1912.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

This collection consists of records relating to meetings LMA/4352/A, registers LMA/4352/B, finance LMA/4352/C, administration and plans LMA/4352/D, and church history LMA/4352/E.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).

Allied Materials

Related material:

For registers of marriages March 1913 - April 1919, June 1947 - September 1970 (J), please see Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING