AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

PRESBYTERIAN SETTLEMENT, POPLAR

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4337
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: PRESBYTERIAN SETTLEMENT, POPLAR
Date(s): 1899-1969
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.42 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Presbyterian Housing was the first of the philanthropic societies to build in Poplar. When it was formed in 1925 there were several Presbyterian churches and a Presbyterian Women's Settlement in the Poplar area. At the instigation of Dr A. Herbert Gray of Crouch Hill, Miss H. B. Mackay, the Warden of the Settlement, addressed an informal meeting in Hampstead. Offers of help were immediately forthcoming and a committee was appointed to implement what was at first simply called the 'Presbyterian Housing Scheme'. Presbyterian Housing began its activities in Poplar in 1926 by converting properties in Poplar High Street into flats. It then moved on to build a new block of flats in Simpson's Road - Goodspeed House, opened in 1929. On 29 May 1929 the scheme became Presbyterian Housing Ltd, which was registered as a public utility society. A further block of flats was built in Simpson's Road (Goodwill House, opened in 1932) with the help of a supplemental contribution from the LCC.

From: 'Public Housing in Poplar: The Inter-war Years', Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44: Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs (1994), pp. 23-37.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Presbyterian Housing Scheme, Poplar, including Ladies Committee minute book (The Committee of the Presbyterian Settlement, East London), 1901-1910; Ladies Settlement Committee minute book, 1910-1912; Committee of the Women's Presbyterian Settlement minute book, 1912-1939; Settlement Committee minute book, 1939-1946; General Committee minute book, 1946-1964; Executive Committee minute book, 1938-1960; Finance Committee minute book, 1954-1958; annual reports of the Presbyterian Settlement (missing years 1938, 1939 and 1966), 1899-1969; annual reports written by the congregation (missing 1961/1962), 1960-1965; architectural plans, 1938-1953; printed material relating to the Presbyterian Settlement, 1924-1968 and correspondence, 1911-1967.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records relating to meetings LMA/4337/A, architectural plans LMA/4337/B, and church records LMA/4337/C.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING