AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

LEYTONSTONE UNITED FREE CHURCH, WALLWOOD ROAD

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4333
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: LEYTONSTONE UNITED FREE CHURCH, WALLWOOD ROAD
Date(s): 1891-1948
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.38 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint George's Presbyterian Church, Hainault Road, Leytonstone, originated in 1888, when the Reverend G. Drysdale, a retired minister living in the district, built an iron church in Wallwood Road. In 1891 the Presbytery of North London recognized this as a sanctioned charge and in 1893 a permanent building designed by William Wallace was opened in Hainault Road. It is a red-brick building with stone dressings, in the Gothic style, consisting of nave and transepts. Under William Kidd (1895-1919) a debt of 6,000 was paid off, a hall built, and membership raised from 36 to nearly 200. During the 1920s, however, the church began to decline rapidly, and in 1939 it was closed and sold to the Essex county council, which used it as a civil defence depot.

From: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 223-233.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Saint George's Presbyterian Church, Hainault Road, Leytonstone, including Communicants' roll books 1905-1939; register of baptisms, 1891-1938; Court of Session minute books, 1897-1939; Managers' minute books, 1891-1929; Treasurer's cash book, 1931-1939 and newspaper clippings, correspondence and music manuscript, 1937-1948.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Administration: LMA/4333/A.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING