AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4328
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1900-1972
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.66 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

East Ham Presbyterian Church, later Trinity Presbyterian Church, East Avenue, Manor Park, originated in the 1890s, when Alexander Thompson, a Scotsman who had previously worshipped at Plashet Park Congregational church, began to hold Presbyterian meetings at his house in Victoria Avenue. With help from the Presbytery of London North a site was bought in East Avenue, and in 1900 an iron church, given by Dr. J. A. Voelker, was erected there. There were early disagreements between the local congregation, which favoured a conventional organization, and the Presbytery, which advocated mission work of the 'central hall' type. These were settled by a compromise; in 1902 Thomas G. Murray became the first minister, in 1903 a permanent church was built, and in 1905 halls were added. By 1909 the membership was 424, and during the brilliant ministry of I. Gwessin Jenkins (1910-1928) it rose to 600. Under Jenkins's successor there was a sharp decline, but the church revived after the coming in 1935 of W. Harding Jones. In 1941 the church was joined by the congregation of Trinity Presbyterian church, Maryland Point (West Ham), from which it took over the name Trinity. From 1941 to 1945 it also accommodated the members of Wakefield Street Congregational church, whose own building had been bombed.

Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 31-38.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Trinity Presbyterian Church, Manor Park, East Ham, including Court of Session minute books, 1900-1972; Deacons' Court minute books, 1943-1972; Finance Committee minute books, 1900-1920; Literary Society minute book, 1901-1927; Young People's Institute minute book, 1923-1928; Communicants' roll book, 1901-1967 and register of baptisms, 1901-1944.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Records relating to meetings LMA/4328/A, and registers LMA/4328/B.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also LMA/4303/E for some records relating to East Ham Presbyterian Church Literary and Debating Society, and LMA/4105 for marriage registers.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"