AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CAMDEN TOWN

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): N/M/042-4
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CAMDEN TOWN
Date(s): 1851-1919
Level of description: Collection
View parent record
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Methodist Church of Great Britain x United Methodist Church x Wesleyan Methodist Church x Primitive Methodist Church

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Wesleyan Methodists built a church at King Street, Camden Town, in 1824. In 1860 the King Street premises were sold to a Primitive Methodist congregation, and a new church was constructed at Camden Street. Following the union of Methodist churches in 1932 the congregations were united. The King Street church was renamed Plender Street Church and became the main church, while the Camden Street church became a mission hall and youth centre and were later demolished.

The Camden Street Wesleyan Methodist Church belonged to the Second London Circuit/Great Queen Street Circuit until around 1866, when it transferred to the Kentish Town Circuit. It then transferred to the London Central Mission Circuit in around 1887.

The King Street, Camden Town Primitive Methodist Church belonged to the Ninth London Circuit until around 1885, when it transferred to the Camden Town Circuit.

After the Methodist Church Union in 1932 both churches joined the Camden Town Circuit, though in practice this small circuit appears to have been administered as part of London Central Mission Circuit and was officially absorbed into the London Central Mission Circuit in 1956.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Register of baptisms, 1851-1919. Some entries copied from the Register of Baptisms, Primitive Methodist Chapel, Fetter Lane, Holborn.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

N/M/042/1: First West London and Second London Circuits; N/M/042/2: Islington Circuit; N/M/042/3: Camden Town; N/M/042/4-11: Spitalfields Chapel; N/M/042/12-14: Caledonian Road Chapel; N/M/042/15-22: Saint George's East Chapel, Cable Street, Poplar; N/M/042/23-25: Deptford Circuit; N/M/042/26: Walworth; N/M/042/27: Forest Hill Chapel; N/M/042/28-29: Grove Wesleyan Mission; N/M/042/30-68: Brunswick Methodist Church, Limehouse; N/M/042/69-74: Seamen's Mission Circuit; N/M/042/75-140: Barking Road Methodist Society.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in 1977 (AC/77/067).

Allied Materials

Related material:

See LMA/4224 for the Camden Town Mission and LMA/4008/CAM for the Camden Churches.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING