AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): O/580
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1920
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Grove Street School | Deptford


Administrative/Biographical history:

Grove Street School was opened in 1893 and closed or reorganised in 1938.

The writer and diarist John Evelyn (1620-1706) came from a landed estate at Wotton in Surrey. although as a younger son he did not expect to inherit the family lands. In 1647 he married Mary Browne, sole heir of Sir Richard Browne, and through this marriage gained Sayes Court in Deptford with surrounding lands (as confirmed by a grant from Charles II). Evelyn had a stong interest in horticulture and created a famous garden at Sayes Court. However, Evelyn's elder brother died and he did inherit the Surrey estates, moving there and letting out the house at Deptford. His most famous tenant was Peter the Great, czar of Russia, who was visiting Deptford to study shipbuilding and whose drunken revelries caused damage to the gardens. The estate remained in the Evelyn family, although the manor house was torn down in 1728 and a workhouse and the Admiralty Victualling Yard were built on the site. In 1884 W J Evelyn granted some land to the London County Council to create a public open space.


Scope and content/abstract:

Licence from Evelyn Estate enabling Grove Street School, Deptford to use adjacent land in Sayes Court for instruction of pupils in the cultivation of flowers.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

One item.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in 1958 (AC/58/003).

Allied Materials

Related material:

LMA holds admission and discharge registers from 1893-1938, see LCC/EO. For more from the Evelyn estate see E/EV.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"