AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

BRENTFORD BOARD OF GUARDIANS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): BG/B
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: BRENTFORD BOARD OF GUARDIANS
Date(s): 1836-1930
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 14.1 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Brentford Poor Law Union x Brentford Board of Guardians

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Poor relief was based on the Act for the Relief of the Poor of 1601 which obliged parishes to take care of the aged and needy in their area. Parish overseers were empowered to collect a local income tax known as the poor-rate which would be put towards the relief of the poor. This evolved into the rating system, where the amount of poor-rate charged was based on the value of a person's property. Early workhouses were constructed and managed by the parish. However, this process was expensive and various schemes were devised where groups of parishes could act together and pool their resources. As early as 1647 towns were setting up 'Corporations' of parishes. An Act of 1782, promoted by Thomas Gilbert, allowed adjacent parishes to combine into Unions and provide workhouses. These were known as 'Gilbert's Unions' and were managed by a board of Guardians.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, the Poor Law Commission was given the power to unite parishes in England and Wales into Poor Law Unions. Each Union was to be administered by a local Board of Guardians. Relief was to be provided through the provision of a workhouse. An amendment to the 1834 Act allowed already existing 'Gilbert's Unions' or Corporations of parishes to remain in existence, although they were encouraged to convert themselves into Poor Law Unions. Although there was some reorganisation of union boundaries, particularly in London, the majority of Unions created under the 1834 Act remained in operation until 1930. In March 1930 a new Local Government Bill abolished the Poor Law Unions and the Board of Guardians. Responsibility for their institutions passed to Public Assistance Committees managed by the county councils - in the metropolis either the London County Council or the Middlesex County Council.

Brentford Poor Law Union was formed in June 1836. It had 10 constituent parishes: Acton, New Brentford, Chiswick, Ealing, Greenford, Hanwell, Heston, Isleworth, Perivale and Twickenham, with the later addition of West Twyford. The Brentford Union Workhouse was constructed on Twickenham Road in 1837. A separate school, called Percy House, was built on the same site in 1883. Between 1895 and 1902 the workhouse was rebuilt with an infirmary being erected on the older site, and a new, much larger workhouse placed to the south-east, near Isleworth. It was considered to be a very well designed and spacious building. From 1920, the infirmary was known as West Middlesex Hospital.

Source of information: Peter Higginbotham at The Workhouse website.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Brentford Poor Law Union, 1836-1930, including minutes of meetings of the Board of Guardians and various Committees; register of apprentices; correspondence from the Local Government Board; financial accounts and legal documents relating to property; plans of the Brentford Union Workhouses; papers relating to the Board's work as a Sanitary Authority; maps of the parishes within the Union and orders of removal.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

In 10 sections: Board minutes; Committees; Orders and Regulations; Returns and Registers; Finance; Matters relating to Title; Plans; Sanitary authority; Maps; Orders of Removal.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: City of London

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records received with the records of the successor County Council.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For the records of the Middlesex County Council, who took over Brentford Board of Guardians institutions, see MCC.


Publication note:

For a detailed history see website 'The Workhouse' (http://www.workhouses.org.uk).

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING