AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ELLIOTT CENTRAL SCHOOL, WANDSWORTH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): ACC/1886
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ELLIOTT CENTRAL SCHOOL, WANDSWORTH
Date(s): 1905-1983
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.82 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Elliott Central School x Southfield School

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

In 1902 the School Board for London purchased a site at Southfields on which to build a school. Three temporary buildings, opened in 1904, housed the school until the completion of the permanent buildings in March 1905. The official opening of Southfield School took place in May 1905 and it continued as a mixed senior school until April 1911 when it became a central school. It was named the Elliott Central School after Sir Charles Elliott. In 1925 the two elementary schools on the Elllott site were disbanded and the central school was divided between boys' and girls' departments, each with its own head teacher. During the Second World War the Boys' School was evacuated to Woking and the Girls' to Guildford in Surrey.

Under the London County Council's London School Plan of 1947, the Boys' School was linked with Wandsworth School, sharing the same body of governors, and the Girls' School with Mayfield (Putney County) School, but both resisted absorption into the neighbouring comprehensive schools. In 1954, as the school celebrated its Jubilee, it was announced that the Elliott Central was itself to be the nucleus of a 2,000 mixed comprehensive school in the Putney Park Lane area, retaining the name Elliott.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Typed history of the Elliott School by P.G. James, E.M. Hewetson and P.E. Williams, 1954, with supplement transcribed from cassette made by P.G. James, 1983; album of photographs and memorabilia, 1905 - 1962?, including leaflet produced on opening of Southfield School, 1905, photographs of visit to Paris, 1913, photographs of war memorials, items relating to the Old Elliottonians' Association and Dramatic Society, and blazer badges; log book, 1913 - 1925; 'The Southfield Magazine', later 'The Elliott Central Magazine', later 'The Elliottonian', 1907-1956; correspondence to Mr P.G.James from Old Elliottonians, 1939-1942; examination papers and timetables of Eric Leicester, 1928-1933.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

ACC/1886-1: Log book, history, magazines, correspondence.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: City of London

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in multiple accessions (ACC/1886, ACC/1961, B07/132 and B12/121).

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING