AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

HAMPTON COURT GAS COMPANY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/1375
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: HAMPTON COURT GAS COMPANY
Date(s): 1863-1949
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.83 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Hampton Court Gas Company x Hampton Court United Gas Company

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Hampton Court Gas Company was instituted in 1850 and provisionally registered in 1851 and 1852. Full registration of the company was obtained on 29 November 1852, after the completion of a deed of settlement, under the name of the Hampton Court United Gas Company, being a joint stock company for the purpose of supplying the parish and neighbourhood of Hampton with inflammable air or gas. The initial capital was 7,500 in 750 shares of 10 each, and the place of business was designated to be the Red Lion Inn, Hampton.

Office and works were built at Sandy Lane, Hampton Wick in the parishes of Hampton and Teddington. By 1937 the company had expanded the works in Sandy Lane, and the offices and showrooms were situated at Bridge Foot, Hampton Wick. Initially, gas was supplied to the parishes of Hampton, including Hampton Court Palace, Teddington and East and West Molesey in Surrey. By the Hampton Court Gas Act, 1867, the supply was extended to the parishes of Hanworth and Feltham, additional capital of 36,000 in paid up shares of 10 each was raised, and the company was incorporated under the name of the Hampton Court Gas Company.

The company continued to function under its board of directors until the nationalisation of the gas industry was implemented by the Gas Act, 1948. The board held its last meeting on 14 April 1949, and thus the company was deprived of its centenary celebrations.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Hampton Court Gas Company, consisting of twelve volumes of signed minutes of directors' meetings of proprietors, 1937-1949. The majority of the volumes contain certain cuttings about the company and the gas industry in general which have been extracted from local newspapers and pasted inside the front and back covers.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

In chronological order.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received from the South Eastern Gas Company in 1975.

Allied Materials

Related material:

The legal papers of F. J. Kent, solicitor to and director of the company, are also held in this office (ref: ACC/333/48/1-38). They cover the years 1850-1892 and include the deed of settlement, contracts and specifications, bills and receipts, lists of share-holders and share certificates, title deeds to property, correspondence and the seal of the company.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
July to October 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING