AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

NORTH THAMES GAS PREDECESSORS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0880
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: NORTH THAMES GAS PREDECESSORS
Date(s): 1821-1949
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.83 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Harrow and Stanmore Gas Company | 1872-1924
Hornsey Gas Company Ltd | 1857-1949
North Middlesex Gas Company | 1862-1949
Pinner Gas Company | 1868-1930
Staines and Egham District Gas and Coke Company Limited | 1833-1915
Sunbury Gas Consumers Company | 1861-1915
Uxbridge and Hillingdon Gas Consumers Company | 1854-1949
Brentford Gas Light Company | 1821-1926

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

North Thames Gas Board (1949-1973): one of 12 Area Boards formed when the gas industry was nationalised in 1949, following the passing of the 1948 Gas Bill. Supplied area of 1,059 square miles stretching from Bracknell, Marlow and High Wycombe to the south east coast of Essex. When formed it was made up of a merger of 12 statutory gas undertakings: Ascot and District Gas and Electricity Company, Chertsey Gas Consumers Company; Commercial Gas Company; (Chartered) Gas Light and Coke Company; Hornsey Gas Company; Lea Bridge District Gas Company; North Middlesex Gas Company; Romford Gas Company; Slough Gas and Coke Company; Southend Corporation (Shoeburyness); Uxbridge Gas Consumers Company and Windsor Royal Gas Light Company. The North Thames Gas Board was dissolved in 1973 when it became a region of the British Gas Corporation. Note - Consumers Gas Companies were set up in consequence of dissatisfaction with the existing supplier.

Gas Light and Coke Company (1812-1949): founded in 1812, this was the first company to supply gas to London. The Company absorbed 27 smaller companies and several undertakings during its period of operation, including the Aldgate Gas Light and Coke Company (1819), the Brentford Gas Company (1926), the City of London Gas Light and Coke Company (1870), the Equitable Gas Light Company (1871), the Great Central Gas Consumer's Company (1870), Imperial Gas Light and Coke Company (1876), the Independent Gas Light and Coke Company (1876), the London Gas Light Company (1883), Pinner Gas Company (1930), Richmond Gas Company (1925), Southend-on-Sea and District Gas Company (1932), Victoria Docks Gas Company (1871) and Western Gas Light Company (1873). In May 1949, after the passing of the Gas Bill 1948, the Company handed over its assets to the North Thames Gas Board.

Brentford Gas Company (1821-1926): founded in 1821 at the instigation of Sir Felix Booth, the company had works at Brentford and retorts at Southall and covered a wide area including Hammersmith, Kensington, Southall, Twickenham and Richmond. Merged with the Gas Light and Coke Company in 1926.

Harrow and Stanmore Gas Company (1872-1924): Harrow Gas Works founded in 1855 by John Chapman and rebuilt in 1872 as the Harrow Gas Light and Coke Company Limited and became a statutory company as the Harrow District Gas Company in 1873. In 1894 it became the Harrow and Stanmore Gas Company. Merged with the Brentford Gas Company in 1924. Both merged with the Gas Light and Coke Company in 1926.

Hornsey Gas Company (1857-1949): formed in 1857, became statutory in 1866, controlled by the South East Gas Corporation from 1939 and merged with the North Thames Gas Board in 1949.

North Middlesex Gas Company (1862-1949): founded in 1862 with works at Mill Hill.

Pinner Gas Company (1868-1930): founded between 1868 and 1872, merged with Gas Light and Coke Company in 1926.

Staines, Egham and District Gas Company (1833-1915): founded 1833, merged with Brentford Gas Company in 1915.

Sunbury Gas Consumers Company (1861-1915): merged with Brentford Gas Company in 1915.

Uxbridge and Hillingdon Gas Consumers Company (1854-1949): formed in 1854 in competition with the Uxbridge Gas Company; became statutory in 1861; after 1918 expanded rapidly and purchased surrounding companies including the Beaconsfield Gas Company, Great Marlow Gas Company and Maidenhead Gas Company. Known as the Uxbridge, Wycombe and District Gas Company from 1921; the Uxbridge, Maidenhead, Wycombe and District Gas Company from 1925 and the South East Gas Corporation from 1936. It merged with the North Thames Gas Board in 1949.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of predecessors of the North Thames Gas Company, 1821-1949, comprising minute books of the Harrow and Stanmore Gas Company; Hornsey Gas Company; North Middlesex Gas Company; Pinner Gas Company; Staines, Egham and District Gas Company; Sunbury Gas Company and Uxbridge and Hillingdon Gas Company. Also papers relating to the Brentford Gas Company purchase of the Sunbury Gas Consumers Company, the Staines and Egham District Gas and Coke Company, the Harrow and Stanmore Gas Company and the Richmond Gas Company.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Brentford Gas Company: ACC/0880/1-36; Harrow and Stanmore Gas Company: ACC/0880/38-45; Hornsey Gas Company: ACC/0880/46-62; North Middlesex Gas Company: ACC/0880/63-68; Pinner Gas Company: ACC/0880/69-76; Staines, Egham and District Gas Company: ACC/0880/77-90; Sunbury Gas Company: ACC/0880/91-94; Uxbridge and Hillingdon Gas Company: ACC/0880/95-113.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 1965 (Acc/0880).

Allied Materials

Related material:

For further material relating to North Thames Gas Company predecessors, see references ACC/0638 and B/NTG.


Publication note:

For further information about gas companies and works see: E.G.Stewart, "Historical Index of Gasworks past and present in the area now served by the North Thames Gas Board, 1806-1957" (1957) and "Supplement to the Historical Index of Gasworks" (1970); LMA Library reference 24.41 NTGB; and Stirling Everard, "The History of the Gas Light and Coke Company" (1949), LMA Library reference 24.41 EVE. Other works relating to the history of gas supply can also be found at reference 24.4.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
July to October 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING