AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

LONDON ELECTRICITY BOARD (LEB)

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4192
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: LONDON ELECTRICITY BOARD (LEB)
Date(s): 1928-1969
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): London Electric Supply Corporation Ltd

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The use of gas as a power source was unchallenged until the 1870s when the first displays of electricity took place. In 1882 the Electricity Lighting Act gave the right to private companies to obtain permission to dig up streets or use overhead cables, and in 1883 the first power station was constructed at Holborn Viaduct. In these early years many small plants, all using different systems and voltages, were set up.

In 1883 the Grosvenor Gallery set up a private lighting supply for the gallery. Neighbours expressed an interest and the Gallery expanded its supply to an area stretching from the Thames to Regent's Park and from Knightsbridge to the Law Courts. The London Electric Supply Corporation Limited was formed in 1887 to take over the Gallery undertaking. A new site was established at Deptford allowing the Company to expand. This set the pattern for future development of large stations supplying a wider area.

After the Second World War the electricity supply was nationalised, and most of London's electricity companies became part of the London Electricity Board.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the London Electric Supply Corporation Limited and successor London Electricity Board, comprising plans of Main Transmissions Networks in the London, Essex and Kent areas, 1937 - 1951; and photographs of Grove Road Sub-Station, 195-; Carnaby Sub-Station, 1952; Neckinger Sub-Station, 1958; Horseferry Road Central Bank, 1959; Barnes Substation, 1960; Beech Station 'B' Sub-Station, 1969; Cable Tunnel under Surrey Canal, 195-; and Horseferry Road and Grove Street, 1928.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Chronological order.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Donated to the Archive in 1999.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
July to October 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING