AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

TROLLOPE AND COLLS LIMITED {BUILDERS}

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 B/TRL
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: TROLLOPE AND COLLS LIMITED {BUILDERS}
Date(s): 1797-1959
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.28 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Trollope and Colls Ltd | builders

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Trollope and Colls Ltd can trace their origins back to 1778. The company was formed from two distinct family businesses. The first business was that of Joseph Trollope who was set up as a wall paper hanger in St Marylebone moving to St George, Hanover Square and then in 1787 to Parliament Street, Westminster. He was a specialist in exotic wall paper, especially Chinese painted paper, with work undertaken at Lullingstone Castle, The Vyne (Hampshire) and Burghley House. He retired in 1800. George Trollope, younger son of Joseph took over the running of the family business along with his brother Joseph Amos Trollope. In 1830 he became paper hanger to King George IV, and in 1842 to Queen Victoria. The firm expanded into interior decoration. Later, in 1849, it expanded into estate agency, letting and controlling property for the Grosvenor Estates.

A separate branch of Cabinet-makers, bearing the family name, was opened at West Halkin Street, becoming known as "The Museum of Decorative Arts" (run by George Robinson). In 1851, the firm became formally known as George Trollope and Sons. George Trollope and Sons were notable for their speculative development of Mayfair, in Eccleston Square, Eaton Square and Warwick Square. Because of delays in a development at Hereford Gardens, Grosvenor Estates were highly critical of the Company and it therefore lost its exemptions to various Building Acts. Further setbacks were industrial disputes in 1859/1860 and were, in descending order, building, estate agency (at Hobart Place), and interior decoration (at West Halkin Street). The latter was involved in contracts to fit out the interiors of liners.

Colls and Sons of 3 High Street, Camberwell, was started in 1840 by Benjamin Colls a painter and decorator who had previously worked in Camberwell and had an opportunity to develop Jackson's Place, Camberwell (belonging to his father-in-law Thomas Jackson). In 1844 he branched out into plumbing and glazier work and in 1853 became a builder and contractor with new premises at 240-246 Camberwell Road. A branch opened in the City at Moorgate in 1858. Most of the business pursued was contract work on workmen's flats, schools and Anglican Churches in South London (e.g. St Phillip, Battersea and St Luke, Camberwell). Increasingly attention had turned towards the City where Benjamin Colls used his experience as a master builder when Chairman of the City Lands Committee. This development into office building was continued by his sons William and John Howard (e.g. Institute of Chartered Accountants 1889-1892). J. Howard Colls was responsible for drawing up the standard contract (1880) and the firm was involved in a famous case Colls V Home and Colonial (1900) over the issue of 'Ancient Lights'. A branch of the firm was founded in Dorking to secure work on houses of City living in Surrey.

In 1903 the new company of George Trollope and Sons and Colls and Sons Ltd was formed with George Howard Trollope and John Howard Colls as joint Chairmen. Both had been presidents of the Central Association of Master Builders. The merger did not include the Surveyors, Auctioneers and Estate Agency at Hobart Place. There was a new headquarters for the firm at 5 Coleman Street, City; the cabinet-making continued with a new contract from Harland and Wolff, Belfast for the Royal Mail Line; the branch in Dorking continued.

The firm came to specialise in civil engineering. A.B Howard Colls did pioneer work in reinforced concrete during the First World War, when many docks, viaducts and railway bridges were constructed. Their work extended to reinforced concrete pipes for drainage, then later to suburban housing, garden cities and work in the Far East. The Second World War left much of the City to be redeveloped and elsewhere new opportunities arose in the field of atomic energy. Trollope and Colls Ltd (as the firm had been known since 1918) joined forces with Holland, Hannen and Cubitt to form Nuclear Civil Constitution ( responsible for Trywsfynnd Power Station, North Wales).

In 1968, the firm was taken over by Trafalgar House Investments Ltd but retained a separate identity. Appropriately enough, the company was responsible for the new precincts at Guildhall, and the repairing of the roof of Guildhall following the Second World War.

Chronology of Companies 1778 Joseph Trollope, wall paper hanger 1800 Joseph Amos and George Trollope 1840 Benjamin Colls, painter and decorator 1851 George Trollope and Sons 1903 George Trollope and Sons and Colls and Sons Ltd 1918 Trollope and Colls Ltd 1969 Trollope and Colls Ltd, owned by Trafalgar House Investments Ltd.

Selected Major buildings George Trollope and Sons: Haymarket Theatre 1869; Claridges Hotel 1897; Baltic Exchange 1903

Colls and Sons: Institute of Chartered Accountants 1889-1892; St Philip, Battersea 1870; Liverpool and London and Globe Insurance Co., Bank 1904

Trollope and Colls Ltd: Lloyds Bank, Head Office, Lombard Street, 1931; Shell Mex House, remodelling 1931; Trinity House, Tower Hill, 1950s; Daily Express, Daily Mail, The Times, Daily Telegraph, Fleet Street, various dates; Debenhams, Wigmore Street, 1905-1908; Northwick Park Hospital, 1970s; New Stock Exchange, City, 1972-1975; Trywsfynnd Power Station, 1962; Interior work for Queen Mary (Cunard Liner).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Trollope and Colls Ltd, builders, and predecessors including Messrs Trollope and Sons (London) Ltd, decorators; Joseph Trollope and Sons, wall paper hangers; Joseph Amos Trollope and George Trollope, decorators; Colls and Sons, builders; George Trollope and Sons and Colls and Sons Ltd, builders.

The records consist mainly of financial records such as customer account books, ledgers, journals and cost books. The letter book of 1797-1808 (B/TRL/9) is of special interest to students of wall paper and interior decoration history. The detailed account books for Trollope and Colls Ltd illustrate the work of a major building firm with a great influence on the London skyline.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into the following groups : Messrs Trollope and Sons (London) Ltd, Decorators
Joseph Trollope and Sons, Wall Paper Hangers
Joseph Amos Trollope and George Trollope, Decorators
Colls and Sons, Builders
George Trollope and Sons and Colls and Sons Ltd, Builders
Trollope and Colls Ltd, Builders.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

The first two (ref B/TRI/1-9) had been listed for sometime and therefore their original numbers have been kept.

Immediate source of acquisition:

There have been three separate deposits, in 1964, 1965 and 1975. AC/64/082, AC/65/092, AC/75/070.

Allied Materials

Related material:

LMA holds records of the Central Association of Master Builders (A/NFB) in which both Trollope and Colls families played a leading part. The successors to the firm of Trollope and sons (London) Ltd, decorators in West Halkin Street Galleries were Cowton and Sons Ltd, decorators, whose records are deposited at LMA (B/CWT).

Amongst other building firms, the records of John Mowlem and CO. Ltd (ref. Acc 2809), Messre Higgs, builders (ref B/HIG) and Holliday and Greenwood Ltd, building contractors (ref B/HOL) provide interesting comparisons.


Publication note:

Trollope and Colls 1778-1978 (GLHL outsize 35.33 TRO). Buildings of Today and Tomorrow: a review of modern construction, 1924 (GLHL outsize 35.33 TRO). Westminster Old and New: a record of dealings in real estate carried through by messrs George Trollope and Sons Westminster Office 1898-1938, W.H. Mills Editor (GLHL 35.33 TRO). The Royal Mint House, Leadenhall Street and the Gray's Inn Holker Law Library builty by Trollope and Colls Ltd to the desings of Sir Edwin Cooper, 1930 (GLHL 69.o LEA). Sale Particulars : 49 Prince's Gate SW7, 1919 (GLHL 70.7 PRI). Sale Particulars : The Abbey, Campden Hill, 1889 (GLHL 92.7 ABB).

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
July to October 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING