AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

BATTERSEA BRIDGE PROPRIETORS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 B/PBB
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: BATTERSEA BRIDGE PROPRIETORS
Date(s): 1771-1796
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.08 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Proprietors of Battersea Bridge

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Battersea Bridge was built in 1771-2. It was constructed from wood to the designs of Henry Holland to replace the ferry between Chelsea and Battersea. The bridge was demolished in 1881 as boats often collided with the piers, but it had already contributed to the growth of Chelsea from a village to a small town. The present bridge with cast iron arches and designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette was erected 1886-90.

Meetings of the Proprietors took place at the Somerset Coffee House in the Strand, at the White Horse, Mrs Anderson's, or Don Saltero's Coffee House - all in Chelsea, at the Rainbow Coffee House, Cornhill, the Salopian Coffee House, Charing Cross, and frequently on the site at the Ferry House in Battersea.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Proprietors of Battersea Bridge, 1771-1796. The two minute books record the earliest proceedings of the 15 proprietors of Battersea Bridge, and include a list of subscribers and copies of circular letters.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Two volumes

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in 1974 (AC/74/041)

Allied Materials

Related material:

The bridge was purchased by the Metropolitan Board of Works and freed from tolls following the Metropolis Toll Bridges Act, 1877. Other records of the proprietors - i.e. deeds etc., later minutes, accounts and correspondence, 1766-1874, have therefore come into custody as inherited records - see BC/B/001-045 and O/265


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
July to October 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING