AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

WILLIAM EDWARD BROOKS {ARCHITECT}

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/3520
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: WILLIAM EDWARD BROOKS {ARCHITECT}
Date(s): 1887-1981
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Brooks | William Edward | 1879-1945 | architect

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

William Edward Brooks was born on 2 February 1879. He was educated at George Street School, Camberwell, which he left in February 1893 at the age of 14. He then obtained the first of a series of clerical posts while continuing his education, attending the Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts and gaining Department of Science and Arts certificates for building construction and perspective. From September 1896 he was employed in the office of Benaniah Adkim, Surveyor.

In January 1898 he obtained the post of junior architectural assistant with George Vickery, working on large factories, warehouses and office buildings in the City of London. In 1899 he entered the Royal Academy Architectural Schools completing the full course as a prize winner. In 1902 he became an associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects. In January 1900 he was appointed an architectural assistant in the Fire Brigade Branch of the London County Council Architect's Department, being promoted to the posts of first draughtsman in July 1900, sub divisional officer in February 1902, and acting divisional officer in January 1903. He played a large part in designing fire stations at Cannon Street in the City of London, Kensington, Lea Green, and Tooting.

William's father Edward Brooks had been appointed engineer at the Orange Street Baths, St Martin-in-the-Fields, in 1894. In October 1896 Edward Brooks became superintendent and engineer of Orange Street Baths while his wife, Ellen, became matron, the family moving from South London to Westminster. William Brooks became much involved with the church of St Martin-in-the -Fields where he met his wife and where he was married on 20 May 1907. From 1912 he and his family lived at 228 Sydenham Road, Croydon.

From 1916 to 1919 William served in the Royal Navy Air Service, later the Royal Air Force. He then returned for the LCC Architect's Department where in 1924 he was transferred to the Schools Section. From 1931 to 1934 he worked on housing, then from 1934 to 1939 he was assistant architect in charge of town planning. In 1939 he was appointed divisional Architect (constructional), and from 1941 he was second officer in the Department. He became a Fellow of the RIBA in 1937. He retired on 31 August 1944 and died on 10 March 1945.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of William Edward Brooks, architect, 1887-1981, consisting of documents relating to William Brooks' education and career, financial records including account books, and photographs and published descriptions of his architectural work. Also included are some personal papers belonging to William's father, Edward Brooks.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

ACC/3520/01-05: Edward Brooks, Superintendent of Orange Street Baths, Westminster; ACC/3520/06-12: William Edward Brooks' Education and Career; ACC/3520/13-18: Financial Records; ACC/3520/19-30: Architectural Work

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the City of London

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

The records were given to London Metropolitan Archives in March 1995 through Andrew Saint of English Heritage.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Donated to the Archive in 1995 (ACC/3520).

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
July to October 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING